- This is a program, a kind of computer software.
- It is designed to be used with a Ship’s Computer, although it could be used with other kinds of computers as well.
Routine programs are used to operate systems other than weaponry, and without regard to violent interaction.
- Anti-hijack protects the ship against potential takeovers. This program constantly monitors conditions within the starship, and automatically locks the access doors to the bridge and controls when a hijack situation occurs.
- Because this system is not foolproof, would-be hijackers may gain access in spite of the program.
- Some versions of the program have full environmental controls and can even initiate self-destruct commands. 
Selected Computer Programs
- Generate Program 
- Jump Program 
- Library Program 
- Manoeuvre Program 
- Navigation Program 
- RVO Program 
- Virtual Crew Program 
- Anti-Missile Program 
- Auto/Evade Program 
- ECM Program 
- Maneuver/Evade Program 
- Return Fire Program 
- Point Defence Program 
- Screen Optimiser Program 
Software within Charted Space is intentionally built to work under a number of different operating systems, different technology levels of computers, and the computers operating them are extensively toughened for hard use under vacuum if necessary.
Standard Software Packages: Each computer comes with a software package of programs for use with the equipment. Because each computer may be put to a different use, their software package consists of a credit in MCr equal to the model number of the computer (treat 1bis and 2bis as 1 and 2 respectively). This credit may not be converted to cash. 
Computer programs (…especially starship programs as required for starship operations) are available, athough for relatively high price. It is also possible that such programs may be written by crew members with computer skill. The individual must have access to a computer which will handle the intended program, knowledge of the skill being incorporated, and no other duties, responsibilities, or distractions during each week of work programming.