Return Fire Program
- This is a program, a kind of computer software.
- It is designed to be used with a Ship’s Computer, although it could be used with other kinds of computers as well.
Defensive programs are used to protect a starship against enemy action.
- Return fire allows a ship's lasers to fire at enemy ships which fired at the ship in the immediately previous fire phase.
- Use of this program also requires the target program, and advantages allowed by other programs (such as gunner interact) can be complimentary.
- If more than one enemy ship is fired on, the multi-target program is also required.
Selected Computer Programs
- Anti-Missile Program 
- Auto/Evade Program 
- ECM Program 
- Maneuver/Evade Program 
- Return Fire Program 
- Point Defence Program 
- Screen Optimiser Program 
Software within Charted Space is intentionally built to work under a number of different operating systems, different technology levels of computers, and to be extensively toughened for hard use under vacuum if necessary. 
The Software List: The computer software list, available at nearly any software vendor or port, indicates the various programs that are available. It shows space required by a specific program in CPU or storage, its price in MCr, and its title. Also shown is a brief overview of its effects. 
Software Authorship: Various requirements exist for individual characters producing existng or new programs. Such a course can save money, but may have some pitfalls. Program generation is explained elsewhere.