- This is a program, a kind of computer software.
- It is designed to be used with a Ship’s Computer, although it could be used with other kinds of computers as well.
Defensive programs are used to protect a starship against enemy action.
- ECM is an electronic countermeasures program which jams and confuses the homing heads of incoming missiles, forcing them to explode prematurely in many cases. During the laser return fire phase, it will destroy nearly all missiles in near-contact with the ship.
- Most missiles are destroyed at sufficient distance to prevent damage to the ship although sometimes missiles detonating closer to the ship may cause minor or sometimes even major damage. 
Selected Computer Programs
- Anti-Missile Program 
- Auto/Evade Program 
- ECM Program 
- Maneuver/Evade Program 
- Return Fire Program 
- Point Defence Program 
- Screen Optimiser Program 
Software within Charted Space is intentionally built to work under a number of different operating systems, different technology levels of computers, and to be extensively toughened for hard use under vacuum if necessary.
The Software List: The computer software list, available at nearly any software vendor or port, indicates the various programs that are available. It shows space required by a specific program in CPU or storage, its price in MCr, and its title. Also shown is a brief overview of its effects. 
Software Authorship: Various requirements exist for individual characters producing existng or new programs. Such a course can save money, but may have some pitfalls. Program generation is explained elsewhere.