- This is a program, a kind of computer software.
- It is designed to be used with a Ship’s Computer, although it could be used with other kinds of computers as well.
Defensive programs are used to protect a starship against enemy action.
- Maneuver/evade is a series of six programs which automatically produce minor movement for a ship, thus reducing the chances of the ship being hit by laser fire. Each has a DM based on pilot expertise (take the fraction of pilot skill and drop any fractions). In addition, these programs allow the use of the maneuver drive as required, in lieu of the normal maneuver program.
- The Auto/Evade Program performs a similar function, and is generally considered less effective. 
Selected Computer Programs
- Anti-Missile Program 
- Auto/Evade Program 
- ECM Program 
- Maneuver/Evade Program 
- Return Fire Program 
- Point Defence Program 
- Screen Optimiser Program 
Software within Charted Space is intentionally built to work under a number of different operating systems, different technology levels of computers, and to be extensively toughened for hard use under vacuum if necessary. 
The Software List: The computer software list, available at nearly any software vendor or port, indicates the various programs that are available. It shows space required by a specific program in CPU or storage, its price in MCr, and its title. Also shown is a brief overview of its effects. 
Software Authorship: Various requirements exist for individual characters producing existng or new programs. Such a course can save money, but may have some pitfalls. Program generation is explained elsewhere.