- This is a program, a kind of computer software.
- It is designed to be used with a Ship’s Computer, although it could be used with other kinds of computers as well.
Routine programs are used to operate systems other than weaponry, and without regard to violent interaction.
- Generate creates a flight plan which will govern the use of the jump program. The navigator or pilot can input specific co-ordinates into the computer concerning a destination, and the generate program will create a flight plan to take the ship there.
- In cases where a generate program is not available, starports have single-use flight plans (in self-erasing cassettes) available for all worlds within a jump range of six parsecs for Cr10,000 per jump number.
- The generate program may be used independently and produces the required flight plan, which is then used by the ship’s computer when the jump is performed.
Note: This is a specialist form of Expert Program.
Selected Computer Programs
- Generate Program 
- Jump Program 
- Library Program 
- Manoeuvre Program 
- Navigation Program 
- RVO Program 
- Virtual Crew Program 
Software within Charted Space is intentionally built to work under a number of different operating systems, different technology levels of computers, and to be extensively toughened for hard use under vacuum if necessary. 
The Software List: The computer software list, available at nearly any software vendor or port, indicates the various programs that are available. It shows space required by a specific program in CPU or storage, its price in MCr, and its title. Also shown is a brief overview of its effects. 
Software Authorship: Various requirements exist for individual characters producing existng or new programs. Such a course can save money, but may have some pitfalls. Program generation is explained elsewhere.