- This is a program, a kind of computer software.
- It is designed to be used with a Ship’s Computer, although it could be used with other kinds of computers as well.
Routine programs are used to operate systems other than weaponry, and without regard to violent interaction.
- Navigation controls the jump process after a flight plan has been produced. Flight plans must be fed into the navigation program, which then interfaces with the jump program to actually take a ship to its destination.
- To actually make a jump, both the jump and navigation programs must be functioning in the ship’s computer (…the generate program need only run long enough to actually create the flight plan).
- While the TL-15 societies of Charted Space successfully use FTL travel on a daily basis, true understanding of jumpspace is extremely limited as almost any astrophyscists can tell you. 
Note: This is a specialist form of Expert Program.
Selected Computer Programs
- Generate Program 
- Jump Program 
- Library Program 
- Manoeuvre Program 
- Navigation Program 
- RVO Program 
- Virtual Crew Program 
Software within Charted Space is intentionally built to work under a number of different operating systems, different technology levels of computers, and to be extensively toughened for hard use under vacuum if necessary. 
The Software List: The computer software list, available at nearly any software vendor or port, indicates the various programs that are available. It shows space required by a specific program in CPU or storage, its price in MCr, and its title. Also shown is a brief overview of its effects. 
Software Authorship: Various requirements exist for individual characters producing existng or new programs. Such a course can save money, but may have some pitfalls. Program generation is explained elsewhere.