- N-Drives are manufactured with performance levels from 0.1G to 0.9G (drive potential 1 for NAFAL = 0.1G).
- They are most famously used by Generation Ships and Sleeper Ships.
Library Data Referral Tree
- Speed of Travel
- Spacecraft Drives (Interplanetary Drives or Impulse Drives)
- Starship Drives (Interstellar Drives)
A ship operating with NAFAL accelerates to a fraction of light-speed and travels to a nearby star system. The N-Drive operates on the same general gravity manipulation principles as the G-Drive and M-Drive.
NAFAL can only accelerate within about one-eighth light-year (or about 51 weeks of acceleration) of a gravity source. It can similarly decelerate only within the one-eighth light year distance (also about 51 weeks).
STL Drive Specifications
STL Drive Specifications (Starship Propulsion) Category Specifications Remarks Name TBD TBD Drive Type TBD TBD Velocity TBD TBD Duration TBD TBD Hazards TBD TBD Physical
TBD TBD Geometry TBD TBD Levels TBD TBD Entry TBD TBD Exit TBD TBD Fuel TBD TBD Resource
TBD TBD Inventor TBD TBD Characteristics TBD TBD
For example, the Long Range Survey Ship Pride of Yothola with NAFAL-1 Drive accelerates within its home system for 51 weeks at 0.1G. At that point, it is traveling at 0.1C. It crosses the one-parsec (3.26 light years) to its neighbor star in 1,700 weeks. Time dilation effects at high speed mean the travellers have spent only 1, 680 weeks in travel. The ship then decelerates for 51 weeks and proceeds to explore the nearby system.
For example, the Colony Ship Nirst with NAFAL-9 Drive can achieve 90% of light speed. Aimed at a system 10 parsecs distant, it accelerates for a year (51 weeks or so) within the home system, at which time it is at 0.9C. The Nirst travels the ten parsecs in (10 x 188=) 1,880 weeks. Within the new system the ship decelerates for 51 weeks to investigate the newfound mainworld. The voyage of 10 parsecs (32 lightyears) endures for (51+51+1880 weeks =) about 38 years. The time dilation effects of 0.9C mean that the ship’s travelers experience only about half that time (51+51+820 weeks=) about 18 years.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 323-327.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science