Non-canon: "Menderes" is a Solomani name from a place called Turkey on ancient Terra.
- The Galanglic word "meander" is thought to have its roots in this name, which was first used for a slow, winding river in Terra's nation state of Turkey.
Market Ticker Code
This business entity is traded under the following interstellar market code/s:
Market Ticker Code Name Code Type Charter Remarks Menderes Corporation TBD 4 to 12 alphanumeric character LIC None
The Menderes Corporation is involved in freight and cargo transportation, courier services, starship construction, military hardware, heavy manufacturing, electronics, and resources investments. Based in the Julian Protectorate, their merchants range from Vargr Extents and Antares sector to the Windhorn rift.
The company emphasises its mercantile nature, downplaying its social policies as mere attempts to foster a more lucrative commercial environment. For instance, for centuries it has promoted and sponsored Kuspar, Floater and Sailball - today the most popular sports in the Julian Protectorate . Importantly, these sports all make use of mixed Vargr-human teams, deliberately being designed to highlight the two races’ complementary abilities and skills.
This reflects the way Menderes functions. Vargr tend to occupy certain positions within the company, humans others. The organization has tailored itself to take the most advantage of the strengths of both species.
Governance & Organization
Non-canon: Menderes Divisions: The operations of the Menderes Corporation are divided into divisions as outlined below:
- Transportation and Communication Division: Operates the corporation's interstellar fleet of cargo ships and provides courier service to subscriber worlds as far as Windhorn Sector.
- Space Systems Division: Responsible for the construction of all space related products, from warships to automated stations to vaccsuit components. In the Vargr Extents, it sells more subsystems and replacement parts than complete ships.
- Intelligence Division: Excellent intelligence is crucial to operate in Vargr space without relying on serendipity. This division also keeps an eye on competitors, particularly when Imperial, and engages in covert operations and industrial espionage as necessary.
- Weapon Systems Division: Produces everything from handguns to advanced planetary defense systems. These products compete well on the Vargr market. Its gauss weapons and mass drivers are superior.
- Heavy Equipment Division: This division manufactures such items as earth movers, fusion tunnelers, large power plants, and city mass transit systems.
- Electronics Division: Markets all manner of products related to electronics and computers. More than any other, this division carefully investigates the multitude of Vargr innovations and incorporates the best.
- Resource Development Division: Most Menderes subsidiaries are attached to this division. Over the centuries, it had invested in agricultural colonies, mining settlements, and production centers that have matured. Its newest efforts lie in Arzul Sector.
- Imperial Division: The newest division, it was created in 1085 to administer operations extending into the Imperium. In that year, Menderes Corporation negotiated an agreement with the Archduke Ngaez for operating rights within the Domain of Antares.
Stock ownership (1116):
History & Background (Dossier)
The company was formed about the time of the Nth Interstellar War (-2235 to -2219) when a family of Solomani traders, the Menderes, established lucrative trade routes along the Mendan Main . Later, many Solomani entrepreneurs in the area were appointed planetary governors when Emperor Hiroshi II came to power. A few such posts went to the Menderes family, among them that of Asimikigir/Julian (Amdukan 0223). The family established a commercial dynasty spanning all of Asimikigir that endured the entire Long Night, and effectively became a monopoly. This objective was maintained when it broke into space again in -247, spreading into former Imperial space. However, the rise of the Sylean corporations was an unwelcome intrusion into the Menderes economic sphere. The Pacification Campaigns (76 to 120) were paralled by trade wars that ultimately forced the Menderes Corporation out of Lishun, Antares, and The Empty Quarter.
The Julian War (175 to 191) was the final Imperial push into the Mendan sector, occupied by the Asimikigir Confederation. Julian Menderes , the then head of the Menderes Corporation and Confederation regent, rallied both the humans and Vargr into a protectorate against the Imperium. Combining Vargr resourcfulness and human determination, the protectorate’s forces, called the Star Legion, repulsed the Imperial fleets from the region by 185. They continued to press into the Imperium to force a formal treaty, finally given in 191. With victory achieved, the Julian Protectorate transformed itself into a permanent organisation. Ever since, the Menderes Corporation has jealously guarded its remaining markets and routes among the Vargr Extents.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
This business primarily operates in the following locations:
- Amdukan Sector
- Antares Sector
- Empty Quarter Sector
- Ingukrax Sector (Arzul)
- Mendan Sector
- Star's End Sector
- Trenchans Sector
- Windhorn Sector
World Listing: 1116
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|