The Imperial Guard is the elite military force designated as the emperor's personal bodyguard.
- Please see Imperial Bureaucracy for more information.
- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
The guard is comprised of multiple regiments and forces, some of them honorary.
This unit of 'crack' troops is intended to enforce the Emperor's will and is comprised of his most loyal troops.
Strategy & Doctrine (Operations)
As the imperial hammer, rumor of their deployment have often been sufficient to force opponents to reconsider their options.
- Once deployed every attack is carried out as quickly as possible.
- The tempo of operations is intended to be so fast as to subvert the enemy's decision making capability.
- The initiative once gained by shock and awe is never to be relinquished.
In practice, politics often interferes with these lofty goals. Formed in year 0 to protect Emperor Cleon I, with the creation of the Sylean and Vland Regiments. These regiments are stationed on the Capital, close to the imperial palace. Being located so close to the throne, has advantages and disadvantages.
- 0: The Sylea and vland guard regiments were formed.
- 123: In 123 the Ilelish, Antares, Gateway and Sol guard regiments were formed.
- 248: The Imperial Artillery Regiment and Household Cavalry Regiments were added in 248.
- 380: The Aslan Guard Regiment was added in 380.
- 550: The Spinward Marches regiment is added in 550.
- 589: In 589 the Deneb Guard Regiment formed.
- 629: In 629 the Marine Guard Regiment formed. The loyalty of the marines was a concern following civil war activities.
- 1050: The loyalty of the Sol Guard was questioned during the Solomani Rim War, so the unit was disbanded in 990 and it was reinstated in 1050.
In times of crisis unrestricted use of nuclear ordinance all the way down to the squad level typically leaves enemy formations and targets reduced to constituient atoms.
- Destruction is the prime objective, there is no "taking and holding territory", by the time they arrive it is already too late for that.
- Collateral damage and civilian losses are encouraged to dissuade enemy governments and organizations from whatever course of action necessitated their deployment.
- Enemies are to suffer the greatest cost for having provoked the wrath of the emperor.
As a result the decision to unleash this force is seen as historically significant in any emperor's tenure.
- Many have never seen fit to use them for more than parades and defending the capital.
Tables of Organization (Organizational Structure)
Unit Roster: The composition of the Imperial Guard in 1105 was as follows:
- Honor Forces (In order of precedence):
Representative Equipment & Classes
No information yet available.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- Domain & Sector Forces:
- Antares Regiment
- Deneb Regiment
- Spinward Marches Regiment (special designation)
- Gateway Regiment
- Ilelish Regiment
- Sol Regiment
- Sylean Regiment
- Vland Regiment
World Listing: 1105
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|