No information yet available.
- Control of access to and protection of the Droyne worlds Andor (Spinward Marches ) and Candory (Spinward Marches ).
- Protection of the Imperial Border and of communications routes to the Imperium
- Observation of the Darrian Confederation and Sword Worlds Confederation Rimward borders
- Observation and interdiction of anti-Imperial activity in the Foreven Sector
- Support of Imperial Client States in the Foreven and Beyond Sectors
- (Unofficial) Maintenance of the Primacy of the Imperial Navy in Five Sisters Subsector government
Strategy & Doctrine (Operations)
The fleet has always been structured to operate with a minimum of outside support, though that means it lacks many of the amenities and ample resources available to other Regency fleets. Its squadrons rely upon a more varied mix of ships, and they lack heavy tanker and transport support. To compensate, the fleet has relied heavily upon proactive defensive patrols outside of the Sisters, and eschews linear set-piece battles in favour of quick lightning strikes against enemy bases and rear echelons. The fleet has seen heavy action against the Zhodani in the last three Frontier Wars, a record that few other Regency fleets can match.
970-977: In 970 the commander of the Karin (Spinward Marches Five Sisters) Imperial Naval Base, fearful that the Imperium might lose the world, called in the Imperial Marines to pacify the population and quell the violence. The Karin Pacification was a brutal operation, even by the relaxed standards of the Marines. Planetary militias were hunted down with extreme prejudice, and factional leaders were either exiled or executed. Most of the population was resettled in a series of camps near the base and starport, carefully watched by the Navy. Guerrilla activity continued for several years, only to be rooted out and annihilated.
The Fifth Frontier War was a critical time for this fleet as it was cut-off from the rest of the Imperium by the Sword Worlds. This stood on the defensive, and operated considerable reconnaissance missions throughout Foreven Sector and District 268 Subsector, but was not required to go on the offensive because it just didn't have the ships or troops to do so. Flammarion (Spinward Marches 0930) and Caladbolg (Spinward Marches 1329) were under permanent observation by the Sword Worlds, but not closely invested. Similarly, Enos (Spinward Marches 1130) was observed but not invested by the 208th Fleet.
Because of the bad feeling for the assigned Imperial Marine Regiment, the Regency created a new Regency Marine Regiment (the 22nd Regency Marine Line Regiment) and dissolved the old organisation, consigning its number (and, hopefully,its reputation) to history. The 'Wonstar' Imperial Marine Division was transferred to the Regency Army.
Tables of Organization (Organizational Structure)
- Naval Squadrons
- 3951st Imperial Marine Regiment
- 'Wonstar' Imperial Marine Division
- Emape (Spinward Marches 0133)
- Raweh (Spinward Marches 0139)
- Mirriam (Spinward Marches 0333) (Demi-Depot)
- Jone (Spinward Marches 0433)
- Karin (Spinward Marches 0534)
- Wonstar (Spinward Marches 0538)
- Flammarion (Spinward Marches 0930)
Also stations in the Foreven Sector
Representative Equipment & Classes
The following sub-units form this fleet:
- At Wonstar (world) the following assets are deployed.
The 208th Fleet has the following forces normally stationed in the Wonstar system:
- The 19th Strike Carrier Task Group (1 50,000 ton Strike Carrier, 3 3000 ton Fleet Destroyers)
- The 86th Heavy CruRon (3 75,000 ton Heavy Cruisers, 1 5000 ton Fleet Escort, 2 300 ton Close Escorts)
- The 191st and 204th EscortRon (each 4 1000 ton Destroyer Escorts)
- The 149th Patrol Flotilla (8 300 ton Close Escorts)
- 'Wonstar' Imperial Marine Division (3 Imperial Marine Regiments)
This fleet is one of the deployment areas of the fearsome Tigress class Dreadnoughts. A quartet of these has kept the peace in this sector for a long time. A single ship was sent and temporarily cross attached from the 23rd Fleet to serve with this fleet. This beast of a ship is often referred to as a fleet unto itself because of the swarms of heavy fighters they carry.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
Headquarters Data: 1105
World Listing: 1105