- It is a peripheral or minority language.
- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
- The Darrian language, known as Te-Zlodh, or Te-Zapet, is the language spoken by the Darrian people, a Minor Human Race, native to Darrian (Spinward Marches 0627).
No information yet available.
Morphology is the study of the internal structure of words.
- morpheme, inflection, paradigm, declension, derivation, compound, etc.
Phonology, the study of the sound systems of a language.
- phoneme, allophone, segment, mora, syllable, foot, stress, tone, etc.
Grammar is the structure of a language.
- tense, aspect, mood and modality, grammatical number, grammatical gender, case, etc.
Syntax is the study of how words combine to form grammatical sentences.
- phrase, clause, grammatical function, grammatical voice, etc.
No information yet available.
A lexicon is the word supply of a language.
- word, lexeme, lemma, lexicon, vocabulary, terminology, etc.
Semantics is the study of the meaning of words (lexical semantics), and how these combine to form the meanings of sentences.
- meaning, sense, entailment, truth condition, compositionality, etc.
Pragmatics is the study of how language is used by its speakers.
- presupposition, implicature, deixis
Historical Linguistics: No information yet available.
1 Subject-Object-Verb 2 Tendency toward vowel harmony 3 Consonant gradation (elision morphology) 4 “Haplosemia” (one-form one-meaning for morphemes) 5 Oppose definite to indefinite by using different cases 6 Postpositions express more subtle local relationships 7 Singular form of nouns used with numbers > 1 8 No grammatical gender at all 9 Sentence structure has heavy premodification 10 No case agreement between adjective and noun 11 Adjectives and Adverbs are freely interchangeable
dalden - to blow ramen - to dream (from Solomani) raten - to reach, to take zalen - to drink
(Sentence Preclitics) /Nos/ Interrogative /Ze/ Desire /Kan/ Expansive /Li/ Diminutive /Me't/ Repetitive /Kas/ Uncertainty /Tik/ Possibility /Kel/ Reflexive /Lak/ Reciprocal
/-ep/ indefinite (subjunctive) (clause relativizer)
infinitive a-e / a past o-i / o present u-i / u future i-e / i
thing-which-does *-a thing-which-is *-o thing-by-which-is-done *-u generic e-e, e-i
/Ni/ I, We /Nin/ My /Nine/ Myself /So/ You /Son/ Your /Sone/ Yourself (none) He, she, they Their Themselves
/Te/ the, of the (none) a, an
Various Noun Suffixes
/-e/ Adjectivizer/Adverbizer /-en/ Pluralizer /-li/ With /-suz/ Without /-zihm/ the Professional /-zih/ the Habitual /-engg/ abstract noun formation /-zik/ diminutive/affectionate
Noun Applicational Case Suffixes
/-ir/ Direct obj (definite) /-da/ or /-ta/ To, at, for (dative) /-(y)e/ In; On (prepositional) /-(y)i/ From (ablative)
bigger/better/more daya most zeh
The man ran to the starport. Te-rer terkabh-da rungel. Do young aslan reach for a claim? Nos aslanen notale rutan-da mubik? The dog drinks the water. Te-kopehe zulan-ir diseh.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Classic Traveller Alien Module 8: Darrians
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science