- This is a program, a kind of computer software.
- It is designed to be used with a Ship's Computer, although it could be used with other kinds of computers as well.
Offensive programs are intended to allow the use of weapons mounted on a ship to damage or destroy enemy vessels.
- Gunner interact interfaces the expertise of the gunner in a specific turret to the hit probability of those shipboard weapons hitting the target.
- The expertise of the gunner contributes to the accuracy of the shipboard weaponry.
- While most systems are designed to work in conjunction with a sophont gunner, the Fire Control Program (q.v.) and Virtual Gunner Program (below) allow fully automated weapons systems.
(Users of the Virtual Gunner Program are reminded that "accidental" discharge causing damage to another's person or property is potentially liable to a civil action for damages and/or criminal charges - See Imperial Law).
Selected Computer Programs
- Advanced Fire Control Program 
- Double Fire Program 
- Fire Control Program 
- Gunner Program 
- Launch Program 
- Launch Solution Program 
- Multi-target Program 
- Predict Program 
- Select Program 
- Target Program 
- Virtual Gunner Program 
Software within Charted Space is intentionally built to work under a number of different operating systems, different technology levels of computers, and to be extensively toughened for hard use under vacuum if necessary. 
The Software List: The computer software list, available at nearly any software vendor or port, indicates the various programs that are available. It shows space required by a specific program in CPU or storage, its price in MCr, and its title. Also shown is a brief overview of its effects. 
Software Authorship: Various requirements exist for individual characters producing existng or new programs. Such a course can save money, but may have some pitfalls. Program generation is explained elsewhere.