- This is a program, a kind of computer software.
- It is designed to be used with a Ship’s Computer, although it could be used with other kinds of computers as well.
- This is a core ship’s computer program and is required in order to use a variety of other computer programs that interact with it.
Offensive programs are intended to allow the use of weapons mounted on a ship to damage or destroy enemy vessels.
- Target identifies enemy vessels and and controls all turrets on board ship.
- It is required for all laser fire and launches except anti-missile fire.
- It creates fire solutions, allows remote firing from the bridge, and coordinates all offensive and defensive systems on the ship with sensors and other equipment creating a force multiplier effect. 
Selected Computer Programs
- Advanced Fire Control Program 
- Double Fire Program 
- Fire Control Program 
- Gunner Program 
- Launch Program 
- Launch Solution Program 
- Multi-target Program 
- Predict Program 
- Select Program 
- Target Program 
- Virtual Gunner Program 
Software within Charted Space is intentionally built to work under a number of different operating systems, different technology levels of computers, and to be extensively toughened for hard use under vacuum if necessary. 
The Software List: The computer software list, available at nearly any software vendor or port, indicates the various programs that are available. It shows space required by a specific program in CPU or storage, its price in MCr, and its title. Also shown is a brief overview of its effects. 
Software Authorship: Various requirements exist for individual characters producing existing or new programs. Such a course can save money, but may have some pitfalls. Program generation is explained elsewhere.