Technology level 4
Technology level 4 is the fifth of the Technology level classifications. The defining characteristics of a society having reached TL–4 is advanced industrialization and widespread use of electricity as a power source. The social changes started with the previous technologies accelerates here, with further technological changes.
Median industrial culture. Standardization, mass production, heavy industry and other factors allow myriad competing equipment designs to flourish.
In terms of classification TL–4 is the Technological Period of Ur-Tech, the initial planetary bound cycle of development. It also occurs within the Technological Epoch know as the Division of Labor Epoch.
- Physical Science
- Existing known laws of physics are refined
- Material Science / Manufacturing
- Aluminum - a new material expanding the possibilities for structural materials
- Interchangeable parts - Manufacturing tolerances fine enough for parts to be replaced on machines.
- Armored vehicles
- Biological Science
- Known areas of biological science are further refined
- Pasteurization, Sterilization, and canning - knowledge of how to preserve food for indefinite periods.
- Cultural Science
- The ability to manage massive social upheaval without tearing a society apart.
Quality of Life Technologies
- Electricity - wide scale generation and long distance distribution of power
- Mechanical Calculators
- Motion Pictures - combine photography with sound recording for information transmission
- Telephone - The ability to connect a 1-1 communications over a network with thousands of connections.
- Linotype Printing (mass printing, illustrated printing)
- Medicine / Life sciences
- Vaccination - First techniques to prevent diseases.
- Antiseptics & Anesthetics - Makes Surgical techniques both safer and more available.
- Skyscrapers - Build buildings 10s to a 100 stories tall.
- Cities in Rugged/Desert Terrain
- Crude Terraforming - Ability to transform small sections of worlds into arable land.
- Land transportation
- Self-propelled vehicles - personal scale vehicles are widely available to travel over extensive road networks.
- Ironclads - steam powered armored warships.
- Crude submersibles
- World wide navigation
- Dirigibles - Hot air or other lifting gases with powered engines for directed transport
- Early Gliders
Warfare is conducted mostly in TL–3 terms, but with more efficient and accurate weapons. Most of the technological developments in firearms through TL–9 are conceived of and possibly experimented with during TL–4. Recoil and gas-operated repeating weapons, autofire, modern propellants, multiple barrel rapid-fire weapons, liquid cooling, mechanically fused payloads and mathematically calculated indirect fire are TL–4 developments. Other notable developments include self-powered naval torpedoes.