|Homeworld location||Amujan (Harea 0121)|
|Primary Star||F9 V M5 V|
|Reference||Explorer Base - Harea Sector|
|Also see||Harea Sector|
- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 2 Physiology
- 3 Psychology & Philosophy
- 4 History & Background (Dossier)
- 5 Astrography
- 6 References & Contributors (Sources)
The Amujati are a race of psionic semi-aquatic serpentine carnivore pouncers with bizarre spiritual beliefs. While they are smart and clever, the majority choose to live a primitive lifestyle, hunting for fresh prey in the warm wetlands and shallow coastal waters of their homeworld. Urban Amujati inhabit coastal cities that have broad suburbs located entirely within the sea.
|0121||Amujan||E688975-3||Hi Pr Pz||412 NaSo||F9 V M5 V|
Valax, the primary, is an ordinary yellow-white star classified as an F9 main sequence. It has a luminosity of 1.668 Sols, a mass of 1.092 Sols, and a diameter of 1.536 million km. It retains a family of two gas giants, a planetoid belt, and four worlds including Amujan. Many of these retain satellites.
Arkon, the companion, is a dim red star classified as an M5 main sequence. It lies approximately 370 AU from Valax and completes one orbit around the primary every 332 years. It has a luminosity of 0.007 Sols, a mass of 0.331 Sols, and a diameter of 498,000 km. It retains a single world.
Amujan orbits Valax, the system's primary star, at a mean distance of 1.12 AU (orbit 3.1, 167.6 million km). It lies within the habitable zone and is designated the mainworld. It has an orbital period of 1 year 143 days and a rotation period of 33 hours. The axial tilt is 14 degrees. Amujan has a diameter of 10,304 km, a density of 5.62 g/cm³, and a surface gravity of 0.82 G. The world is geologically active. Its atmosphere is rated as Dense, with a mean surface pressure of 1.72 bar and a composition of 77% nitrogen (N2), 21% oxygen (O2), 1% argon (Ar), and 1% water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), ozone (O3), neon (Ne) and other trace gases. Approximately 84% of the surface is covered in seas of liquid water: average tidal ranges exceed 0.35m. Mean surface temperature: 27°C. The climate is rated as warm and experiences minor seasonal changes during the local year. The atmosphere is active and strong weather systems driven by the star and the oceans sweep across the globe.
- Araz (UWP G200000-0, orbiting at 25 Diameters/270,000 km).
Mainworld Geography and Topography
Total surface area: 334 million km², Water surface area: 281 million km², Land surface area: 53 million km². The majority of the surface is covered in oceans and seas. There are four major continents (arrid Arava, mountainous Chos, and forested Indano and Gul Dunu), a number of subcontinental landmasses, and many islands and archipelagos.
Amujati are carnivores native to wetland and coastal terrain on their homeworld: their ecological niche is defined as "pouncer". They are endothermic swimmers classified Trilateral HBS-T-AF-NN-T, with an internal support structure consisting of fluid-filled sacs, hemolymph internal fluids, and an external covering of fine scales. They breathe atmospheric oxygen, respirating via an airway connected to the mouth, but are able to hold their breath and remain physically active for up to (Vigor x 5) minutes underwater. They have a short cone-shaped head containing the brain and the sensory organs, a long narrow neck, a generally cylindrical torso, and a long sinuous tail. A cluster of three long thin tentacles emerge from the torso and divide into narrow "fingers" at their tips, and three powerful flippers lie approximately a third of the way down the torso. Amujati have powerful fangs mounted in their jaws. Based on their profile (standard and oversize) a baseline Amujati is around 2.5m long and weighs around 170kg.
- Energy: V-8-GBP. Amujati vision is substantially worse than that of humans. Amujati see best close up, typically to a little beyond the range of their tentacle-manipulators. Their color perception is shifted slightly towards the ultraviolet end of the spectrum: they cannot see reds, but are able to see greens, blues, purples, and near ultraviolet.
- Vibration: H-12-6362. Amujati aural perception is inferior to that of humans. They can hear sounds at frequencies from about 8 Hz to around 1 KHz, with the typical voice having a frequency of around 64 Hz. Amujati are particularly sensitive to low frequency sounds and can hear them over distances of thousands of meters.
- Volatiles: S-0. (Anosmic). Amujati possess no olfactory organs. Their sense of smell and taste is an inherent psionic ability.
- Matter: T-12-2 (superior to humans). The Amujati's scaly skin is very sensitive to pressure and air movement. The tentacle-manipulators are particularly sensitive to texture.
- Fields: A-0. Unaware.
- Auras: P-0. Unaware.
- Strength (physical power): 3D
- Grace (body-limb co-ordination): 2D
- Vigor (short-term fatigue resistance): 2D
- Intelligence (ability to think and reason): 2D
- Training (based on cultural heritage): 2D
- Charisma (small group hierarchy): 2D
Genetic Profile: SGVITC
All Amujati are psionic, reaching their full psi strength at age 14.
- Psionic Strength is rolled on 1D and can be improved through training.
- Clairvoyance, specifically:
- Clairalience (smelling)
- Clairgustance (tasting)
- Psionic shield
Amujati are amphibious: they are evolved to swim in shallow water but can also readily move on land, either by pulling themselves along using their flippers and tail or through the use of an upright sidewinder motion. Sidewinding is relatively fast but is tiring.
In water they are rated as 'VSlow', with a maximum charge speed of around 40 kph. They can swim against currents and tides and can hold station. They can dive to depths of around (Vigor x3) meters.
On land they routinely move at 'Creep', deftly wriggling and pulling themselves along with a typical moving speed of around 5 kph. Amujati may "sidewind" for (Vigor x1) minutes at approximately 15 kph. They are incapable of moving faster.
They may explosively strike at prey or foes within (Grace x0.5) meters by extending their necks and biting with their fangs.
Amujati have three genders – activators, egg-donors, and egg bearers. Bearers collect genetic material from egg-donors and activators.
- Activators: approximately 60% of the population.
- Egg Donors: approximately 30% of the population.
- Egg Bearers: approximately 10% of the population.
- 0 Infant: ½ Term (2 years).
- 1 Child: 1 Term (4 years).
- 2 Adolescent: 2 Terms (8 years).
- Career starts at age 14
- 3 Young adult: 2 Terms (8 years).
- 4 Adult: 2 Terms (8 years).
- 5 Peak: 2 Terms (8 years).
- Physical aging begins at age 38
- 6 Midlife: 2 Terms (8 years).
- 7 Senior: 1 Term (4 years).
- 8 Elder: 1 Term (4 years).
- 9 Retirement: 1 Term (4 years).
- Mental aging begins at 58 years.
Diet and Trophics
Amujati are defined as carnivore predators. They have an articulated "Y" shaped set of jaws containing serrated fangs that are used to bite and kill prey animals. Prey are detected through the use of latent psionic abilities, specifically clairalience (remote smelling) and clairgustance (remote tasting). They prefer to consume freshly killed meat, small game and insects but will also also eat a limited variety of roots, bulbs, and fruit. They have no physical sense of taste or flavor but can detect chemicals and compounds within their food, allowing them to avoid ingesting toxins. Amujati are solitary eaters.
Psychology & Philosophy
Amujati society is fractious and while individual Amujati are loyal and assent to be ruled, there is endless politicking and conflict among social and cultural groups as they seek to further their interests. Amujati hold personal status and rank in high regard.
The Amujati psyche is driven by factors common to many sophonts:
- Acquisition (stemming from the need to gather adequate nutrition),
- Curiosity (originating from the urge to seek out sources of nutrition)
- Preservation (derived from the need to continue their personal existence), and
- Perpetuation (the urge to continue the species).
A behavioral drive is an instinctual need that has the power to dramatically influence the behaviour of an individual. These drives, derived from and molded by their evolution, strongly influence the mental processes of the Amujati.
- Aggressive. Amujati vigorously defend their beliefs and their communities. They are quick to turn to violence.
- Confident. Amujati have a strong belief in their own abilities. They have faith in themselves and tend to automatically extend that confidence to others.
- Devout. Amujati lead their lives according to their theological beliefs.
- Intolerant. Amujati do not take well to those who question their beliefs.
- Fatalistic. Everything is done by the will of the deities.
- Judgmental: Amujati are quick to judge and prone to make snap decisions.
Philosophy: The Amujati have an unshakable belief in the supernatural: the deities control the universe through supernatural means. Anything that can’t be explained naturally is the work of the gods. Anything that can be explained rationally is a manifestation of the deities.
Theology: The Amujati believe in a defined single pantheon of deities of varying power and abilities, ruled over by one all-powerful god. Upon death, the body decays but the spirit travels to the afterlife to be judged by the deities and punished or rewarded accordingly.
Ethics: The Amujati believe in moral absolutism, asserting that there are certain universal moral principles by which the actions of all individuals may be judged. It is generally held that the morality of an action should be based on whether that action itself is right or wrong under a series of rules, rather than based on the consequences of the action. There are, however, strong disagreements within Amujati society about which moral principles are correct and which are incorrect.
- Different cultures and nations may have differing views on ethics.
Psychology: The Amujati believe in the concept of dualism: all sophont beings have a dual nature, body and spirit. Body and spirit have different and conflicting needs but they are inseparable in life: an equilibrium between them, and acceptable to the deity, must be reached. Mental and particularly psionic processes are an aspect of the deities and a practical manifestation of the spirit.
Amujati are the majority species in Harea Sector, forming approximately two thirds of the total population, but they are the least dispersed: almost all Amujati reside on Amujan, their ancestral homeworld.
Society & Culture
- Homogeneity 8 (Discordant)
- Acceptance 8 (Friendly)
- Strangeness 7 (Confusing)
- Symbols 7 (Somewhat concrete)
The majority of Amujati live a wild and primitive existence. A relatively small minority live in small rival nation-states bound together by shared culture, spiritual belief and economic need.
- Some Amujati cultures are known to practice ritual sacrifice.
The total population is estimated at around 4 billion. Large numbers of Amujati live a primitive nomadic existence in the waters of their homeworld, and as such an accurate census has never been possible.
There are generally considered to be two major social divisions:
- Urban Amujati: approximately 600 million (15% of the population).
- Residing in partially submerged fortified cities and extensive farmed wetlands, typically at around TL-3
- Primitive Amujati: around 3.4 billion (85% of the population).
- Forming small nomadic pods following prey species, with a typical technological capability of around TL-1
Settlements and communities.
- Aquaculture and agriculture. Hunting.
The primary means of communication is through vocalization. Amujati speech is deep, with a frequency of around 64 Hz, and typically takes the form of deep bassy gurgles, rumbles, and clicks. The sounds they produce travel through water for distances of thousands of meters. Most humans cannot hear Amujati voices, and likewise Amujati cannot generally hear human voices.
- A great many Amujati languages and dialects exist.
- Translator equipment is widely available that allows vocal communication.
Technology & Trade
Importance -1 (Unimportant)
- Resources 9 (Moderate)
- Labor 8 (Hundreds of millions)
- Infrastructure 4 (Very limited)
- Efficiency +1 (Above average)
This race is primarily located in the following areas:
The homeworld of this race is:
World Listing: 1105