A Meter is a unit of measurement of distance.
A meter is a frequently used unit of distance. It is typically used to describe the dimensions of everyday objects such as vehicles and structures.
MKS and CGS Units
The MKS system of units is a physical system of measurement based on the meter as the unit of length, the kilogram as the unit of mass, and the second as the unit of time. Smaller scale measurements may utilize the CGS system, based on the centimeter as the unit of length, the gram as the unit of mass, and the second as the unit of time. The system has broad applications within science, engineering and commerce.
Term Usage Example
A typical human stands between 1.5 and 1.8 meters tall.
Imperial & Solomani Term Usage
The meter was first defined as a unit of distance on Terra prior to the foundation of the Terran Confederation. It was calculated as one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator of Terra to the world's northern pole.
Modern Imperial usage bases the meter on the distance that light will travel in a vacuum over a period of one 30 millionth of a second, a concept adopted following the Solomani Rim War to avoid the use of specifically Terranocentric metrics.
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Fire, Fusion, & Steel (Game Designers Workshop, 1994), 5.
- David Golden, Guy Garnett. Fire, Fusion & Steel (Imperium Games, 1997), 7.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 615.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science
- An unpublished factoid written by Maksim-Smelchak
- An unpublished factoid written by Ade Stewart