MT Hard Times
|Publisher||Game Designers Workshop|
|Author||Charles E. Gannon|
|ISBN 1-55878-085-8 Stock #0221|
The Rebellion has wrecked the Imperium as a unified political entity. However, as is often the case with wreckage, some of the remaining pieces are larger than others. Hard Times portrays this "new" incarnation of the Imperium - a collection of separate interstellar states surrounded by blasted, abandoned battlefields.
- "I don't exactly remember when it all started to change, when each starport looked a little more rundown than the last, when starships became fewer and further between. It was sometime after 1120.
- "Now starports are in tatters and starmercs are in demand - when you can trust 'em. Still, you need the escort, 'cause there's no shortage of pirates - or state-sanctioned privateers.
- "Of course, that really doesn't bother the megacorps. They're too busy trading planets back and forth as they attempt to optimize their portfolios.
- "Some of those worlds are dying, running out of everything - including air. But that doesn't stop the natives from going after what they need - at any cost. Everything from ammunition to immunoboosters is in short supply. You use whatever you can get your hands on and some of the stuff is pretty old-fashioned - or downright weird.
- "Me? I'm a survivor. I've gotten used to the whole sorry mess. But I guess it's true when they say that we're living in Hard Times.
Inevitably, aftermaths are longer than the wars that cause them. The War of the Rebellion is no exception.
Hard Times provides both referees and player with a detailed look at the post-Rebellion Imperium and the new challenges that they can expect to face in it. However, Hard Times is more than a sourcebook. It integrates adventures with resource materials in order to provide complete support for roleplaying in the postwar Imperium.
As part of that complete support, Hard Times offers::
- Practical and easy-to-use guidelines for creating new adventures within the environments of the post-Rebellion Imperium.
- 10 well-detailed sample adventures for use in these new environments, plus several brief adventure outlines - all of which serve as examples of these new environments and how to create them.
- A flexible adventure interface design that allows you to use of each of the adventures as part of a complete campaign or by itself.
- Additions to the UCP design sequence, special postwar industries, and a unique collection of implements and opponents and more.
The war may be ending, but there are Hard Times ahead.
Meta-history & Background
No information yet available.
Credits (Primary Sources)
- Charles E. Gannon
- Additional Design
- Terrence R. McInnes, Tom McCarrol, Mark Cunningham, J. Duncan Law-Green
- Background on Diaspora
- Denis Myers, Mark Gelinas
- Dave Nilsen
- Interior Art
- Thomas Midgette, Kirk Wescom, Lawrence Williams
- Cover art
- David Dorman
Table of Contents
Introduction 4 Referee's Overview 6 Part I: Background (1122-1125) 8 Chapter 1: Road to Hard Times 8 Chapter 2: Eve of Hard Times 12 Chapter 3: Effects of Hard Times 19 Part II: Hard Times (1125-1128) 26 Chapter 4: Campaign Background 26 Chapter 5: Scorched Earth 32 Chapter 6: Insurance 38 Chapter 7: Crash 49 Chapter 8: Megacorps 56 Chapter 9: Raiding 60 Chapter 10: Xenophobia 65 Chapter 11: Two Steps Back 68 Chapter 12: Doomed Worlds 72 Chapter 13: Slow Slide to Oblivion 75 Chapter 14: Light a Candle 79 Part III: Data Annex 82 Chapter 15: One Small Step 82 Chapter 16: Data Annex 91