News Services of Charted Space
The News Services of Charted Space sell what is perhaps the most important commodity of all within Charted Space, which has always been and continues to remain: Information.
- They are controlled and/or regulated by many different actors on the interstellar relations stage: polities, megacorporations, various sophont races, and vast array of interest groups.
- All of these different actors hold different values, relationships with data, and priorities.
- A few of these actors believe in traditional values of bringing the facts to the people to prepare them to make their own decisions.
- Please see AAB article Communication Technologies of Charted Space for related information.
Even in a galaxy where FTL star travel is a way of life, information travels relatively slowly throughout Charted Space. Instantaneous communication, a long-held dream, has never been achieved by any known race. Thus communication is usually limited to the speed of packets, couriers, and other types of message-laden starships. Lesser frequented spaceways might only receive mail transmissions, physical mail packages or letters, and other communications once every few weeks. While the more frequented trade routes most often receive messages several times a subjective Terran-standard 24-hour period (day).
- Regardless, the great stretches of Charted Space are vast, and it can take months or even years for information to pass from one end of civilization to the other.
Holovid Network Providers
Among the best known Holovid networks and providers are:
- Interstellar News Networks
Periodicals of Charted Space
Books of Charted Space
- Almost Disaster by Albert Croale
- The Authentic Experience by Johann Kramm
- The Book of Larm by Makkhii Larm (Larmism)
- The Bucherei Conundrum by Kethrin Virbek
- Codices of Aosoilte
- A Deeper History by Middleton Rothery
- Dru’mhilla Manifesto by Ahaja Bucherei
- Encounter on Kaiid by Nelagid Marsid
- Hoard of the Sky Raiders by Jothan Messandi
- Lost Throne by Otis Adelbert Molitor
- Shambhala by Mornal Bruton
- The Solomani Hypothesis by Magis Sergei haut-Devroe
- Trane's Historical Cycles by Julian Trane
- Twilight's Peak
- Wiseman's Guide to Sophonts
History & Background (Dossier)
Charted Space contains a vast variety of technological information systems. While standards exist, news is typically formatted into a number of different media based upon bandwith, locality, TL, and a variety of other criteria. Despite all of these differences, basic plaintext data bursts in common binary computer codes still predominate amongst news agencies using FTL starships for news transfer. These basic data transferences have the advantage of being usable by worlds of very different levels of technology mastery.
More complicated data involving sound, graphics, and video files can be added to these basic binary data bursts for the more prosperous markets that can afford larger and more expensive news data files.
Network Sizes & Polity Reach
News networks operate anywhere were there is a market to support them.
- Even the largest networks can only move information at the speed of travel. Some news networks with adequate funding run X-boat-like systems to move news.
- While most news data has broad appeal to most sophonts, entertainment programming is much more species and region specific. Some polities closely control the news and rigorously censor it.
They generally grow in the following sequence:
- Subplanetary News Networks
- Planetary News Networks
- Subsector News Networks
- Sector News Networks
- Multi-Sector News Networks
- Very Large Networks
- They are more properly known as Interstellar Postal Unions.
- Please see the AAB article Postal Union for more information.
Interstellar News Association
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article lacks sufficient detail and while it possesses all of the desired stylistic features, it needs more quality content. More work needs to be done to make this a whole page and a good article. This is step 5. in the article refinement process.
- Novel: T5 Agent of the Imperium
- Author & Contributor: Mitchberg
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science