Travellers' Aid Society
- Such facilities are available (at reasonable cost) to members and their guests.
The Travellers' Aid Society is a transnational and interstellar society established to provide for the greater comfort of its members while travelling the starways.
Travellers' Aid Society Membership
Travellers' Aid Society membership may be received as a reward for heroism or extraordinary service to the Society. Or it can be purchased with a application, which may be turned down if the Society leadership does not approve.
Membership in the Society may also be purchased.
- If accepted, the membership requires a payment of an initiation fee of Cr1,000,000.
- Such purchase involves avoidance of a "blackball."
- Only one application per person is allowed.
- Membership is for the life, and is not transferable.
The Travellers' Aid Society invests its membership fees and other income; it uses its capital and return to provide benefits to its members.
- Every two months, it pays dividends in the form of one High Passage to each member.
- This passage may be used, retained, or sold.
History & Background (Dossier)
The Travellers' Aid Society was formed by Ve Nu Lant. During the expansion of the Sylean Federation, individuals informally entered their experiences, tips, places to go and eat and avoid, and advice into a local networkds. Ve Nu Lant collected these into guides called Crowded Space. After their success, he and a few others set up the Society. At first consisting of 'net lectures along with the planet safety coding system. By -16, the first planetary office was established. It helped people get oriented, provided a place to meet and exchange information along with some sleeping accomodaions.
- The TAS has risen to prominence as the premier aid society for interstellar travelers.
- It succeeded the now mostly defunct Octagon Society.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Classic Traveller Book 1 Characters and Combat
- Periodical: MegaTraveller Journal 3 in Article: 'Jeramii Boden'
- Marc Miller's Traveller T4 Milieu 0 Campaign