Gentlesophont is a gender-neutral, species-neutral term used across Charted Space in official and polite address.
Please see the following AAB articles for more information:
The one point of commonality across sophont species is sophonce. They all share technological civilizations wanting to survive, prosper, and push out the boundaries of technology in ways appropriate to their society. At first the Aslan heavily objected to the prefix "gentle," but eventually they came around to accepting the term.
- And thus the two terms "gentle" plus "sophont" became combined into the most widely used and acceptable term of address.
Intended Linguistic Connotation
The term avoids or obviates:
Interstellar etiquette is an enormously complicated endeavor. How does one fine social protocols acceptable to hundreds of sophont species with literally hundreds of thousands of individual cultural mores, social practices, philosophies, dining preferences, and a host of other details? Well, the most pragmatic answer is that such a point of golden harmony is nigh impossible.
Interstellar Societal Common Culture
The current interstellar order is centered around major race cultural standards. And they clash quite often. Nevertheless certain largely acceptable practices are largely integrated into an overarching interstellar society:
- Appropriate Technology Movement
- Imperial Interstellar Language Society
- Interstellar News Association
- Interstellar Peace Organization
- Merchant Services
- Postal Unions
- Starport Authority
- Galactic Better Business Branches
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), TBD.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science