Artificial Intelligence is a development of computer science that first occurs at TL–10 at the low autonomous level, and then this development tend to continue to improve incrementally as the technology level increases. Most sophonts associate Artificial Intelligence with the development of not only advanced processors, but also of advanced robots.
Please see the following AAB articles for more information:
- Robotic Autonomy
- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
Artificial Intelligence is the degree of autonomous decision-making capability available to a robot or other created entity.
True Artificial Intelligence
What is true artificial intelligence? It's a very nebulous term, but the greater robotics community uses it to refer to an intelligence capable of making independent decisions, not just following a subroutine or preprogrammed instructions. Different levels of autonomy have been proposed theoretically, and while some incredibly sophisticated robots exist, few scientists believe that true artificial intelligence has been achieved by the known species of Charted Space. Now, the Ancients are an entirely different story. Few precursor studies specialists would propose something that they could not achieve.
Epochal Technology Periods
Low Autonomous Epoch
Low autonomous robots function through the use of electronics and sophisticated programming can account for many circumstances giving the illusion of higher intelligence. These thinking machines are very useful, but can ultimately be "outsmarted" by sophont species. They are popularly thought of as low thinking machines.
Mesoautonomous bots can be found in the middle ground between low and high thinking bots. They are bright machines and can often approach or surpass human Turing ratings, but few specialists would consider them to possess true artificial intelligence. However, they can often fool the general public.
High Autonomous Epoch
High autonomous robots make use of positronic brains allowing a much greater range of action and cogitation than less sophisticated models. These are very sophisticated advanced thinking machines and can outperform sapient sophonts at most cogitational activities. The Hivers have been known to manufacture high autonomous robots.
True Artificial Intelligence Period
Scientists and philosophers have debated for centuries how to define true artificial intelligence. The rough concensus is that true artificial intelligence approximates the range of thinking of a sophontic mind. They are popularly called feeling machines and are believed capable of dreaming. No known robots manufactured within Charted Space possess these capabilities yet. However, the Ancients were believed to possess this technology and mechanical lifeforms with true artificial intelligence are believed to have been used by the Ancient known as Yaskoydray.
History & Background (Dossier)
Robotics has had a long and distinguished history within Charted Space. The Ancients designed amazingly sophisticated robots long before any of today's sophont species came to technology. The history of the Vilani and the mighty Ziru Sirka started with a people terrified by robotic death machines. Many other sophont cultures have been developing these technologies since.
Shushudam Robotics Conference
Some of the better known robotics symposia include:
- [Once the machine thinking method has started, it would not take long to outstrip our feeble powers.
- ... At some stage therefore we should have to expect the machines to take control, in the way that is mentioned in Samuel Butler's ‘Erewhon.’]
- - Terran scientist, Alan Turing in 1951 CE, speaking about a future in which machines outperform human sophonts intellectually.
A Turing Test is a test of artificial intelligence invented by a scientist from the Terran past. Modern versions of it are still in use within the Third Imperium. The Rule of Man established the test within Charted Space even though similar testing mechanisms existed within several sophont cultures including the Vilani Ziru Sirka.
- The Turing Test is one of the best known tests for determining artificial intelligence ratings within Charted Space. It was developed on old Terra by a cryptological code breaker and mathematician named Alan Turing.
- The Turing Test is essentially one of social interaction. Can a robot convince a conventional sophont that it is a fellow mind through natural conversation or dialogue that flows? Or does it fail, and appear obviously robotic?
- Increasingly sophisticated Turing Tests have been developed over the millenia. AB-101 broke many records with its amazing sophistication and lifelike behavior. More breakthroughs are expected in the near future.
The Virus is sometimes thought to be an advanced AI that has mutated.
- Many AIs are thought to be forms of a Meta Identity or Infomorph, capable of easily moving from one bodily substrate to another.
- See Meta Identity for more information.
- See Wikipedia:AI for more information.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
It is thought that all of the major races have been researching and developing increasingly advanced artificial intelligences so A.I.s of varying capabilities and technologies can be found throughout Charted Space.
World Listing: 1116
The following systems and worlds are locations strongly associated with artificial intelligence:
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|