The title of Grand Duke was the highest level of noble title in the Sylean Federation, and was held by the most prominent aristocratic families of the polity.
- The Grand Duke of Sylea in particular held the hereditary office of President of the Sylean Grand Senate after the Year -650, when the Kingdom of Sylea became the Sylean Federation.
- In later days, it has become a traditional title infrequently used throughout the Third Imperium.
- 1a. Emperor / Empress
- 1b. Prince / Princess / Karand
- 2a. Archduke / Archduchess / Apkallu Kibrat Arban
- 2b. Grand Duke / Grand Duchess
- 3a. Subsector Duke / Subsector Duchess / Saarpuhii
- 3b. Duke / Duchess / Saarpuhii
- 4. Count / Countess (Contessa) / Sarriiu or Shakkanakhu
- 5. Viscount / Viscountess / Sarriiu or Shakkanakhu
- 6. Marquis / Marchioness (Marquesa) / Sarriiu or Shakkanakhu
- 7. Baron / Baroness / Iishakku
- 8. Baronet / Baronetess / Iishakku
- 9. Knight / Dame / Kiduunuuzii
- 10. Gentleman / Gentlewoman / Gentlesophont
The office of President of the Sylean Grand Senate was nominally elected rather than being hereditary, though in practice it was retained by the Grand Dukes of Sylea, who were elected to the office for life by the Sylean Grand Senate.
The sixth and seventh levels of noble rank are called dukes, and are either associated with a subsector capital world or an important world within a subsector. Those associated with a subsector capital world are the governing Subsector Duke of the subsector. Dukes are referred to either by the Ducal title followed by "of" and the subsector name, or by the Ducal title followed by "of" and the world-name, as appropriate. The power of a duke depends on circumstances and the situation within the sector, but generally one duke within a sector rises to power and becomes the Sector Duke, the overseer of that sector as a whole. No special title is awarded to a Sector Duke.
- An individual accorded a lesser duchy may receive a fief of land, generally not more than 100,000 km2, and/or 64 terrain hexes on worlds within his fief-world's sector, with an associated non-mainworld terrain hex for each mainworld hex in the same respective system(s) if he has an appointment as an Imperial Landed Noble. Landed Lesser Dukes fiefs are generally granted on worlds deemed Important by the Imperium.
- Lesser Dukes titles can be granted in a variety of indivdually specific forms based upon the manner or reason for which the title was granted. Examples of such titles might include: Duke, Count-Duke, Local Duke, Lesser Duke, Short Duke, Long Duke, Border Duke, March Duke, Vice-Duke, Regent-Duke, etc.
- An individual accorded a Subsector Duchy will receive a fief of land, generally not more than 100,000 km2, and/or 128 terrain hexes on worlds within the fief-world's sector, with an associated non-mainworld terrain hex for each mainworld hex in the same respective system(s). Subsector Dukes are always associated with subsector capital worlds.
History & Background (Dossier)
In practice, during the final century or so of the Sylean Federation and before it became the Third Imperium in Year 0, the position of President of the Sylean Grand Senate was monopolized by members of the Zhunastu family.
Upon the establishment of the Third Imperium, the title of Grand Duke was largely abandoned, its prior holders becoming Dukes under the new Imperial system of titles. In order to pacify the inevitable "bruising of noble egos" that would result from this restructuring, Emperor Cleon I established, the title of Archduke as a non-hereditary honorific title to reward certain Dukes for loyal service. Such Archdukes were required to abdicate both their Dukedoms and the associated voting rights in the Moot to their designated heirs, but in return they were granted the general oversight of Moot proceedings and/or granted privileged status within the Emperor's court as close advisors.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|