Militaries of Charted Space
Please see the following AAB articles for related data:
- Interstellar War
- Militaries of Charted Space
- War in Charted Space
- Military Technologies
- Defensive Technology
- Offensive Technologies
- Military Vehicle Types
- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 1.1 Militaries of the Major Races
- 1.2 Militaries of the Well-known Minor Races
- 1.3 Militaries of the Lesser-known Minor Races
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3 References & Contributors (Sources)
A Military is the totality of armed forces that a polity can control and send to war. Most militaries are composed of five primary groupings: armies, navies, special forces, paramilitaries, and intelligence assets. Although all sorts of military compositions and organizations are possible.
Militaries of the Major Races
- Individual Aslan Clan Navies, including the ships of the Aslan Navy
- Individual Aslan Clan Armies, comprising the Aslan Military
Human: Imperial Military
- Imperial Navy
- Imperial Army
- Imperial Interstellar Scout Service
- Mashkim (System or Planetary Police)
- Ducal Security Forces
- Mainworld Security Forces (Constabulary)
- Irregular "For Hire" Mercenaries
- Regular Contractual Mercenaries
Human: Solomani Military
- Solomani Navy (SolNav)
- Solomani Marines (SolMar)
- Solomani Army (SolArm)
- Solomani Home Guard (SolHomGa)
Human: Vilani Military
The historical Vilani military was disbanded after it lost the Interstellar Wars. The traditions of the Aasha Ziru Sirka and Gisadia Ziru Sirka have been passed down to some of the private armies of the megacorporations known as Vilani Bureaux. Very few Vilani military traditions passed onto the Rule of Man or later Third Imperium.
Human: Zhodani Military
- Zhodani Consulate Combined Interstellar Forces
- Zhodani Navy
- Zhodani Consular Guard (Elite Forces)
- Zhodani Consulate Army
- Zhodani Exploration & Survey Authority
- Core Expedition Command
- Spinward Expedition Command
- Individual Steppelord Militaries
- K'kree Nomadic Naval Hordes (Mobile)
- K'kree Colonial Forces
- K'kree Steppelord Security Hordes (Founded)
- K'kree Sector Navies
- K'kree Subsector Armies
- K'kree Nomadic Naval Hordes (Mobile)
Militaries of the Well-known Minor Races
No information yet available.
- The Darrian Navy is charged with the defense of Confederation space.
- The Darrian Army (subdivided into two branches: the Darrian Militia and the Darrian Guard), is responsible for the defense of Darrian worlds.
The Sword World Confederate Army, Sword World Confederate Navy (including the Narsil Fleet, the Gram Fleet, the Sacnoth Fleet, and the Joyeuse Fleet), and the Sword Worlds Confederation Patrol help protect this confederation.
Vegan Defense Forces
Militaries of the Lesser-known Minor Races
The Viyard Concourse Corporate Fleet is a small independent force, as are the ships of the Plavian League. The Mercantile Concord Navy, Syzlin Republic Fleet, The First Fleet of Dzo Navy, Ngath Confederate Space Navy, Union (of) Garth Space Navy, Biumvirate Battle Fleet, Protectorate Space Navy, Gniivi Collective Fleet, Khuur League Fleet, Star Legion Navy, Old Worlds Navy, Amil Federation Fleet, Langemarck Royal Navy, Munsonian Royal Navy, Strend Navy, Islaiat Dominate Navy, Ushran Navy, Geonee Self Defense Forces, Zydarian Codominium Star Legion, Alsas Navy, Naval Forces of the Grand Duchy of Marlheim, Katowice Conquest, Union Navy, Stalker xenophobic enforcement vessels and Jarnac Pashalic Navy are other examples.
History & Background (Dossier)
As technology evolves and advances, the capabilities of belligerents gradually grows. Perhaps one of the easiest ways to measure these growing capabilities is by the number of dimensions, theatres, or environments in which a military can effectively wage war.
1 or 2-Dimensional Combat
Typically most homeworlds are the domains of walkers and swimmers so war takes place on land or at sea. Native flyers typically frequent only one of these environments in addition to air, although flyers frequenting three environments have been known.
Most pre-spacefaring industrial era militaries can reliably maintain combat operations in three environments.
Early stellar societies expand the area of combat to include space. The advent of early spacebourne warships and ortillery greatly changes the face of battle. Satellite intelligence and navigational systems have the potential to revolutionize warfare. The additional vertical engagement of both space and air gives more advantage to high tech professional militaries than their lower technology counterparts. High tech 4D militaries can reliably wage war in four environments.
More mature stellar societies learn how to wage war not only in space, but throughout both the near stellar system and the far system. System Defense Boats become important assets for such militaries who can reliably wage war in five environments. Deep space combat is a rarity unless there is a significant asset located outside of the near and far stellar systems.
- Far System
While interstellar war can be waged across Charted Space, the fact that communications are limited to the speed of transportation limits effective combat theatre coordination. Even Subsector and Sector combat operations are very limited on a tactical level. And strategic operations must be pre-planned far in advance of expected combat. Some Terran observers compare the current state of operations to the Terran First World War. Communication, coordination, and technology limitations have kept interstellar war from effectively growing past five dimensions for the time being.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Classic TravellerBook 4 Mercenary (book)
- Classic Traveller Book 6 Scouts
- Classic Traveller Little Black Book Supplement 8 Library Data (A-M)
- Periodical: Classic Traveller The Travellers' Digest No. 9, TD9
- MegaTraveller Imperial Encyclopedia
- MegaTraveller Player's Manual (pg. 20)
- MegaTraveller COACC
- MegaTraveller Fighting Ships of the Shattered Imperium
- MegaTraveller Avenger Enterprises Grand Fleet
- TNE Striker II
- Lester Smith. Milieu 0 (Imperium Games, 1996), .
- GURPS Traveller: First In
- GURPS Traveller: Star Mercs
- GURPS Traveller: Ground Forces
- GURPS Traveller: Nobles
- Mongoose Traveller Sector Fleet
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science