|Vantage/Capella (Solomani Rim 1538)|
|Classic Era (1115)|
Vantage is a moderate population world with over a hundred million, but not yet at a billion sophonts in population size.
- This a "high technology" world with technology achievements at, near, or over technology standards for Charted Space.
- It is a member of the Solomani Confederation in the Capella Subsector of Solomani Rim Sector.
- This world has a nearby Naval Base, usually associated with military starships.
- This world has a nearby Military Base, usually associated with military ground forces.
- The system contains Yamato Naval Base, which acts as Solomani Rim Fleet Headquarters.
- Vantage is also the capital of the Boötean League.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
The atmosphere of Vantage is too thick for humans near the surface but is breathable at high altitudes. Thus the population lives almost entirely in the air, in impressive cloud cities supported by grav generators. There are about 100 of these, with populations averaging about 5-7 million each. Each is self-governing, most of them operating on a democratic or corporate-state model. The planetary government is primarily concerned with regulating cloud-farming and hunting, as well as the usual task of system defense.
Vantage Monostellar System Star Name Hierarchy Category Mass (Sol) Temp (K) Luminosity (Sol) Vantage
Primary Main Sequence 0.4258 2400 - 3300 0.027 Unit Diameter Min Distance Hab Zone Jump Shadow M-Drive Limit AU 0.0044 0.01358 0.13 - 0.21 0.44 4.4 Orbit # * * 0 1 6 Remarks None
1538 Vantage (Solomani)
Starport: Class V - Naval Base.
Diameter: 8,400 miles (13,400 km). Gravity: 1.19g.
Atmosphere: Very dense oxygen-nitrogen.
Climate: Very Hot.
Population: 660 million.
Control Level: 6.
Tech Level: 11.
World Trade Number: 5.
Point of Interest: Floating Cities of Vantage
Vantage has no mountains, and the population lives almost entirely in the air, in "Sky Cities" supported by grav generators.
Native Lifeforms: Fauna & Flora
Vantage has an impressive free-floating aerial ecology. A wide variety of creatures live at different altitudes but most are natural aerostats rather than winged flyers. Much of Vantage’s economy relies on exploiting the native life forms. Aeroplankton can be harvested and processed for Human consumption. Meanwhile, many of the animal forms secrete unusual biochemicals.
History & Background (Dossier)
- The first cloud-cities were established about -1800, just as the Long Night was settling in. Lacking the ability to maintain large-scale gravitic equipment, the colonists fell back on aerostat technology, using solar power to support large hot-air dirigibles.
- During the next few centuries, maintaining civilization on Vantage was a constant struggle, but the present-day inhabitants look upon the period as a "heroic age". Despite its hundreds of millions, Vantage retains much of its old frontier-world flavor. Its people are tough, self-reliant, adventurous, and progressive, generally a pleasure to visit or trade with.
Non-canon: The Vantage (Solomani Rim 1538) atmosphere is only breathable at high altitudes. With no mountains of sufficient height to settle in, pressure domes were used for initial habitats. As the population grew, this proved impractical, so grav generators were employed to raise city-size platforms, or metro-gravs, to suitable altitudes. To guard against over-population, strict reproductive limits and marriage regulations were established.
Vantage is the capital of the Boötean Federation, and much of the industry and population is devoted to supporting the government bureaucracy.