Based on original designs used by the IISS, the prefab starport is currently built and marketed by Frontier Development, LIC. Available at most TL–13+ and starport A worlds, it is used by businesses, governments, and independent individuals in any situation where an easily and quickly built starport is necessary.
A prefab starport can handle up to 800 tons of ship, in any number of vehicles. It requires a crew of x3 (gunner, engineer, and manager/communications), and should be supported either by a food producing village or quarterly supply deliveries.
Prefab starports are usually found on newly colonized worlds, as outposts on other planets of a solar system, or even as pirate bases. They are naturally most often used on the frontier, and are thus unavailable in the older sectors: (Core, Solomani Rim, etc.)
Construction & Packaging
The prefab starport comes packed in various crates for easy transport aboard a starship. Once it is placed upon a planet, construction can begin, by the following steps:
- Find a large, flat, clear area (rock plateau, field, clearing) approximately 1km by 1km in size, and preferably located near water. Ground must be firm.
- Clear the area of all vegetation or obstacles (rocks and trees) with the dirt-mover and tool kits.
- Using the dirt-mover, dig (10cm deep) the runway and landing pad base.
- Fill the pad base with steel foam and smooth.
- Place buildings, beacon, etc.
Construction of the prefab port requires approximately 200 man-hours
The prefab starport consists of the following items:
- 1 Advanced Base
- 1 Radio beacon / transmitter
- 1 Pulse laser installation
- 1 Collapsible 200 ton fuel storage tank
- 1 Warehouse tent
- 1 Mechanical toolkit
- 1 Electronic toolkit
- 1 Fusion power plant
- 1 Dirt-mover
- 8 Industrial size canisters of Steel Foam
- Miscellaneous measuring instruments
- Plans and instructions