Travellers' Aid Society
The Travellers' Aid Society is a private organization which maintains hostels and facilities at nearly all class A and B starports in Charted Space. Such facilities are available (...at reasonable cost) to members and their guests. The TAS is trusted as a safe, comfortable place for anyone away from home.
The TAS is a transnational and interstellar society established to provide for the greater comfort of its members while travelling the starways.
It primarily operates within Charted Space.
- 1 Market Ticker Code
- 2 Description (Portfolio)
- 3 History & Background (Dossier)
- 4 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 5 See also
- 6 References & Contributors (Sources)
Market Ticker Code
This business entity is a member owned entity and is not traded on interstellar markets:
The Travellers' Aid Society: Individuals who have decided that they wish to pursue a life of travel and adventure may elect to join the Travellers' Aid Society, in order to take advantage of its facilities and passage dividends. 
Travellers' Aid Society Membership
Membership can be purchased upon application, which may be turned down if the Society leadership does not approve.
- If accepted, the membership requires a payment of an initiation fee of Cr1,000,000.
- Such purchase involves avoidance of a "blackball."
- Only one application per person is allowed.
- Membership is for the life, and is not transferable.
- TAS associate memberships exist, they expire four years after the grant. Otherwise identical to lifetime membership.
Travellers' Aid Society Honorary Membership
An award of "Honorary Membership of the Travellers' Aid Society" may be granted as a reward for heroism or extraordinary service to the Society.
The Travellers' Aid Society invests its membership fees and other income through TAS Holdings; it uses its capital and return to provide benefits to its members.
- Every month to two months, it pays dividends in the form of one High Passage to each member.
- This passage may be used, retained, or sold.
- It also supplies 1 week of accommodations per month. They may be accumulated. They may be sold as above.
The Travellers' Aid Society was formed by Ve Nu Lant. During the expansion of the Sylean Federation, individuals informally entered their experiences, tips, places to go and eat and avoid, and advice into a local networks. Ve Nu Lant collected these into guides called Crowded Space. After their success, he and a few others set up the Society. At first consisting of 'net lectures along with the planet safety coding system. By -16, the first planetary office was established. It helped people get oriented, provided a place to meet and exchange information along with some sleeping accommodations. 
- The TAS has risen to prominence as the premier aid society for interstellar travelers.
- It succeeded the now mostly defunct Octagon Society.
A few words from Ve Nu Lant, TAS Chief Executive Officer, 145-0008.
“In those early years of expansion, many people just packed a bag and headed off into space, hitching rides on scouts, traders, and even warships. It didn’t take long for an informal self-help network on the ‘net to start up, passing Traveller’s tips, places to go to, places to avoid, what to eat, and what not to. So one summer, I collected the stories coming back, and put together the first Crowded Space guides. They were instant hits, but many people needed more practical help. So with a few friends, I set up the Travellers’ Aid Society. We started off with ‘net lectures, devised a simple color code for planet safety, and in Year -16 we opened up our first planetary office. It was a great hit, helping people to get oriented, providing a meeting place and information exchange, and even a few beds for the night. The rest, as they say, is history.”
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
TAS has a presence in nearly every system within the Imperium and on many worlds surrounding. Be that unmanned ticket kiosk in every starport to bulletin boards at most Class D starport and above to the pervasive TAS News Service to hotels/hostels on every Class A & B starport. In most places their presence is small but noticeable.
This business is known to host facilities in the following locations:
- Every Class A or B starport has the signature TAS Hostel. These 4 to 5 star facilities may be wholly owned or a joint operation of a local hotelier and TAS. The honesty and unbiased rating system TAS uses ensures enjoyable stays.
- Every Imperial starport has a TAS ticket kiosk, which in cooperation with the Trader's Guild handles ticketing for independent merchants.