Communication Technologies of Charted Space
Communications Technologies are one of the fundamental cornerstones of advanced societies. Being to communicate more effectively, more quickly, and over longer distances will revolutionize any society and civilization.
One of the Three Prime Technologies of a civilization is communications. Being able to coordinate and collaborate societies and peoples can be incredibly powerful. More efficient communicators hold distinct advantages over their lessers.
Data Transfer Protocols
Due to the vast differences in technological capability amongst the many worlds of Charted Space, the IISS long ago set up input/output (I/O) data transfer protocols by TL for Imperium wide usage. It is often a point of great pride for a world to upgrade its communication net to a higher technology level.
There are three common kinds of messages that communications vessels bring and/or transmit:
- X-Mail: Messages are electronic, low-bandwidth, and extremely low cost, which means practically free.
- Parcel Lots: Collective lots of small parcels are what tramp freighters, free traders, and other vessels with mail vaults get paid to deliver.
- Packet Data: Transmitted data that is received, stored, and transmitted across the entire body of Imperial Space or oyher zones. It relays public Imperial knowledge as of one week ago and a jump away (...news, public records, etc.). It integrates such data into the mainworld's records and involves such a vast amount of data that specialized hardware becomes necessary. This is normally the domain of X-boats, Relay Boats, or similar communications vessels.
Nearly every System contains media specific to its locality with local news prevailing as the primary news content. But while there are literally thousands of various news sources, a very few, perhaps a hundred or so across Charted Space dominate the newsways and they are actively sought out by discerning sophonts everywhere.
Media Formats Name Sense/s Author/s Remarks Holovid Datanet Multiple Various Holovid is the preferred media technology of the more advanced worlds of the Third Imperium. Advanced high definition TL-15 Holovid programming and services are only available on the most advanced worlds. Periodicals Multiple Various Even in an age of extremely advanced communications technologies, periodicals have managed to survive. Most exist in several media fornats, but they survive as semi-regular sources of information. Hard Copy Publications Visual Various One might think that in a world capable of TL-15 technology, physical data formats might have been declared obsolete long ago, but the lasting value of these classic formats never has. Audio-data Audio Various While many of Charted Space's youth expect cutting edge Holovid and Tri-D, some sophonts still prefer venerable audio recordings available on cheap readily available data crystals or on other media formats.
Epochal Communications Technology Periods
Imperial society often categorizes communication technologies by chronological epochs and periods.
Epochal Technological Periods Overview: Communications Period Name Period's (TLs) Technology Scope Period Remarks Proto-Sophontic
TL-0 Proto-Tech Very early societies with basic language. (Alpha Period) Physiological Age: sophonts communicate using the apparati with which they were born as evolved by their species: typically voice and body language. Low Sophontic
TL-1-9 Ur-Tech Foundational technologies with planetary-systemic (intrastellar) scope such as radio, telegraphs, etc.. (Ur Period) Radio Age Meso-Sophontic
TL-10-18 Stell-Tech Interstellar technologies with an polystellar (intragalactic) scope such as tachyon, meson, and pre-FTL communications devices. (Stellar Period) Meson Age High Sophontic
TL-19-27 Ultra-Tech Galactic technologies with a polygalactic scope. Distances now require pseudoreality avatars and ways to effectively communicate across vast distances despite the lack of FTL commo devices. (Galactic Period) Pseudoreality Age Ascendant
TL-28-30 Dei-Tech Astrodeific technologies with a universal scope. The first Ansibles hypothetically come of age. (Transgalactic Period) FTL Ansible?
- Charted Space thirsts for an instantaneous FTL communications device, popularly known to Anglic speakers as the Ansible. Such a device would revolutionize interstellar society. However, even after millennia of research, the tried and trustworthy Meson Communicator is still the most capable communications device to be had. And its capabilities still fall considerably short of instantaneous and FTL.
TL-31-33 Omni-Tech Bhodhisattivan technologies with a polytemporal, trans-dimensional scope. (Omega Period) Unimaginable.
Most sophontologists agree that one of the keys to a species achieving sophonce is language. And one of the biggest aspects of sophonce is the use of technology. All sophont species to date, use various technologies to enhance their natural language abilities from the most basic smoke signals to the most advanced meson communicators. And yet the holy grail of communications, the Ansible, a faster than light communications system, still eludes TL-15 science.
Media Technologies of the Second Millenium
- Auditory Media
- Database Media
- Visual Media
- Media Identification
- Datanet Avatar
- Pseudoreality Communications
- Media Transport & Transmission
Future Communications Technologies
Research is currently being conducted to discover a FTL communications device that might become the Ansible. Many of these research laboratories are probing the depths of jumpspace hoping for a breakthrough. Other research directions have also been pursued, but many of these studies remain under the strictest security and are classified highly secret.
- Communication Transport & Transmission