From Traveller Wiki - Science-Fiction Adventure in the Far future
- Please see the following articles for related information:
- Geneered races are sometimes erroneously called Minor, but the proper term is Variant. Numerous minor races exist, some have been fully developed, some only briefly mentioned, in the Traveller background material. Minor Races can exist at all levels of technology and may have acquired faster than light travel from all sorts of sources from traders, or even reverse engineering ancient technology. This page contains a summary of the best known Minor races taken from the complete list of known sophont races.
- There are at least 100 intelligent races in the Imperium and 400 in Charted Space, but these figures do not included Minor Human Races or variants. Some have been described in great detail, some only mentioned, and many others not mentioned at all.
There are several types of Minor Races:
Minor Human Races
- The Ancients transplanted populations of Homo sapiens antiquus to more than a hundred worlds. On a large number of these the populations survived down into historic times. Some became extinct between the time the Vilani first invented jump drive and the Classic Era. Some became so intermixed with Vilani that they ceased to have a distinct existence. Others simply died out. Some were exterminated by the Vilani.
- By 1100 there were 49 human races (including the three major ones) known to Imperial scientists. At least one more (the Loeskalth) are known to exist, but the news has not yet been accepted by the established scientific community of the Imperium. Of those 50, 26 or more have been mentioned in canonical works.
- Fifty (50) human races in Charted Space works out as roughly one per sector, but that's an average. A sector doesn't absolutely HAVE to have a minor human race and a sector could conceivably have more than one (Reaver's Deep and the Trojan Reach each has THREE!). However, any sector with more than one is well over its quota.
- 90% of all known homeworlds of human races, surviving and extinct, lie within a kidney-shaped area that stretches from the Spica sector to trailing to the Eiaplial sector to Spinward. This means, of course, that 10% lies outside this area. If one gets far enough away from the Imperium, one may even encounter MHRs that are not part of the canonical figure.
- Many human races are indistinguishable from each other without genetic testing, though a number of them began from a small gene pool and/or evolved in an extreme environment and developed unique characteristics. Some were tampered with by the Ancients.
- A list of minor human races is available, some extra details are listed below.
- Please see Minor Human Race for more information.
Variant/Chimera Human Races
A list of varient/chimera human races is available.
- Please see Variant Human Race for more information.
Non-Human Minor Races
A list of non-human minor races is available.
- Please see Non-Human Race for more information.
History & Background (Dossier)
No information yet available.
References & Background (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Periodical: MegaTraveller Journal 4 in Article: 'Governments of Gateway'
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science