FTL: Faster Than Light = Jump drive
- Opposite of NAFAL: Not as Fast as Light = STL: Slower Than Light
- This equals starfaring (interstellar FTL travel)
FTL is a term describing faster than light space travel. It is a necessary precondition to interstellar development. Only extremely long-lived sophont species can circumvent this axiom through the use of sleeper or generation ships and they still have the shortcoming of being strategically crippled when facing another hostile species with FTL warships.
In the current climate of Charted Space, the Vilani people had an Inordinate advantage in that their first major suprapolity developed the FTL Jump Drive long before other sophonts.
- Key technology for interstellar colonization and commerce
- Much faster than relativistic travel
- Reference Vilani Starjumpers
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- T5 Core Rules
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science