|Homeworld||Vland (Vland 1717)|
- 1 Biology
- 2 Psychology
- 3 Language
- 4 History
- 5 Civilization
- 6 Astrography
- 7 References and contributors
Vilani Humans, on average, stand 1.75 meters in height and weigh about 75 kilograms. Descended from omnivore/gatherers, Vilani humans developed intelligence in response to shifting climatological factors and the inhospitable environment of Vland.
Vilani have a strong tendency to have a tanned skin tone as Vland has a bright type-F Star, brownish shades of hair, hazel eyes, and an uncommonly high prevalence of golden eyes.
The Vilani gene pool is much less variegated than that of Terrans although thanks to the size of the Ziru Sirka, and the intermixing of human gene pools, considerable variation exists in physical appearance.
The Vilani have blood types C, D, M, N, and O, with C and N dominant.
Evolution and environment
Inhospitable Vland: The homeworld of the Vilani, Vland, while possessed of a environment, for the most part, amenable to Human life, boasted an alien ecology based on its own independently evolved biology, a biology that produced amino acids, proteins, and sugars that were difficult for humans to digest and metabolize. The humans just could not use local plant and animal life for food. Vland was inhospitable in it own way.
Shugilii: One of the oldest occupations in Vilani society is that of Shugilii (Anglic: Shugilii) (which translates roughly as miller). The Shugilii was a person who could transform raw food into edible food through special aging and chemical treatments. The Shugilii position was more akin to that of shaman or witch doctor than that of a cook. Since virtually no food on Vland was edible without some treatment, Shugilii were powerful members of society.
Beginning in prehistoric times, the Shugilii caste developed (and hoarded) safe methods for food preparation. With advanced technology and interstellar trade the need for these secret techniques declined, but the Shugilii retained a role as guardians of tradition, the closest thing Vilani society has to a priestly caste.
- Please see Shugilii for more information.
Vilani Medicine: The intense alien nature of the land was reciprocal: humans were unsuitable as food for predators, parasites died because humans provided no nutrition, bacteria could not infect the human system, and even viruses were unable to invade and take over human cells.
Consequently, the primitive human society found no need for medically-oriented shaman. Vilani medical understanding was very slow to develop because of this.
This species developed intelligence in response to interspecies competition and the basic inhospitability of their world to baseline human biochemistry.
- Hyper-acclimitization: Known to quickly adapt to many different climates and environments.
- Requires shelter and clothing.
- Prefer to shelter in defensible dens protected from the elements.
Climate and Ecotope
This species holds the following environmental preferences:
- Terrestrial planet
- Temperate climate
- Forest or grassland ecotope
- Standard gravity
- Standard atmosphere
Members of Humaniti use the following IISS code:
- Social Standing
- More complex genetic coding data available to qualified personnel upon request.
Anatomy and Physiology
Sophontologists studying this species have discovered the following data.
- Bilateral symmetry (2-ial)
- Tetrapod (4-ped)
- Two limbs used for manipulation "arms"
- Former brachiator (still capable climber)
- Two limbs used for locomotion (biped) "legs"
- Two limbs used for manipulation "arms"
- Body consists of three segments
- Head with sensors and multiple-use orifice (consumption, communication, and respiration)
- Torso with manipulatory limbs
- Abdomen with locomotor limbs
Humans have a conventional carbon-water based biochemistry.
Humans employ a conventional respiration cycle consisting of:
- Oxygen-nitrogen inhalant
- Carbon dioxide exhalant
Ecosystem and Population
Humans are primarily a diurnal species and are active by daylight and rest during the night.
- They use a wide variety of technologies to master their environment including terraforming.
Diet and Trophics
This species survives using the following methods of consumption:
- Omnivore/hunter-gathererThis species favors a variety of foodstuffs including plant and animal foodstuffs.
Due to the basic inhospitability of the Vilani homeworld, the Vilani have developed increased gastric fortitude and are accustomed to highly processed and rendered foods through a variety of methods including:
- Boiling & straining
- Other chemical rendering processes
Vilani Trophics: The Vilani are evolved from omnivore/gatherers as are other Humans, and will eat a wide variety of foodstuffs, whether of animal, plant, or other origin.
Due to the cultural legacies of the Shugilii and the inhospitable environment of Vland , the Vilani prefer processed foods, including those made through fermentation, pickling, salting, chemical treatment, etc..
This same legacy leads most Vilani avoid raw, organic foods of any type including fruits, nuts, vegetables, and unprocessed meat. To most Vilani, the Vilani folk saying holds: "If it isn't cooked, it isn't food!"
Some favorite Vilani foods and dishes include:
- Adwuj, (alcoholic beverage).
- Altmac, (alcoholic beverage).
- Astroburgers, (bread, vegetable & meat dish).
- Atrake, (alcoholic beverage).
- Terran Beef, (meat).
- Terran Chicken, (meat).
- Chicklizard, (meat).
- Terran Coffee, (beverage).
- Terran Meatloaf, (grain & meat dish).
- Terran Tea, (beverage).
- Vilnaf, (alcoholic beverage).
- Vilnafku, (Vilani native dish, a meat, vegetable & grain porridge-like dish)
- Yakka Juice, (fruit juice).
Gender and Sexuality
Humans have the following reproductive characteristics::
- Two genders (male & female)
- Mild sexual dimorphism
- (sexual reproduction)
- Conjugal intercourse
- Varied mating systems (primarily serial monogamy) (1m:1f average)
- Viviparous birth
- (Iteroparous): Uses K-selection and have few offspring that require considerable amounts of time to raise to maturity.
Adolescence and Lifecycle
The average human lifespan is now well over one hundred years in span and many live longer than that. In addition the technology of anagathics (life extension) is rapidly growing in usage although it is still prohibitively expensive to the masses.
Humans are an iteroparous species and typically bear one child per pregnancy, which requires well over a decade to be educated and come to reproductive maturity.
Larger litters of offspring are possible, but much less common.
Currently, Vilani is a cultural rather than racial or national labeling, and it is applied to those within the Imperium who retain some of the old ways.
Dialects of the old High Vilani language survive in certain places, along with a few other fragments of Vilani culture, such as musical forms and other fine arts.
Certain of the old Vilani noble families have maintained more of the old culture. In particular, those who control the Vilani megacorporations instill a predominantly Vilani culture on many of their employees.
Social Organization: 1116
- . Aristocrats: Aristocrats were the natural leaders of society.
- . Merchants: The merchants controlled trade.
- . Shugilii: The Shugilii were the all important processors of food.
Each of the three social groups organized themselves into government bureaus, but each bureau, actually more of a megacorporation in practice, was essentially an independent government within their controlled territories.
- . Makhidkarun, originating with the aristocracy, emphasized interstellar government.
- . Sharurshid, originating with the merchant class, emphasized interstellar trade.
- . Naasirka, originating with the Shugilii class, floundered after it found that it could not control food supplies on most worlds it dealt with, but it ultimately became a broad based organization, emphasizing energy, transport, and luxury goods.
With the flowering of Vilani society (circa −11,000) and its attendant industrial revolution, each of these three forces gained power rather than lost it; each participated in the creation of the industrialized wealth of Vland.
Vilani (more formally known as Standard Vilani, or SV for short) is the language of the Vilani people, and the descendant of Old High Vilani, the language of the First Imperium.
- Dialects of the old High Vilani language survive in certain places of the Third Imperium.
- See Vilani language and Vilani dictionary for more information.
Language and Letters
This species uses the following types of language to communicate:
- Body language
- Spoken language
- Visual language (sign language)
- Written language
This species has had a [long, short, etc.] history and is widely known for [blank].
History: General Overview
Vilani Legend: Vilani legends are full of accounts of the wars of the gods, terrible destruction, and occasional intervention in human affairs by the gods. Legends exist of early explorers who found lands with great living stone-metal gods possessed of immense magical powers. Modern archaeologists now believe these "gods" were actually great robot warriors and juggernauts used by the ancients in the Final War. Apparently, the last of these machines finally ran down around −20,000.
Vilani Imperial Expansion
The Vilani discovered intelligent lifeforms on other worlds within 60 parsecs of Vland. None of the races had progressed enough to have begun interstellar travel. The Vilani found it easy to dominate these less technically advanced races. The Vilani were able to impose Vilani culture and law on these other races among the stars. However, the Vilani conquering was not of a militaristic nature, but was economic subjugation.
As their sphere of influence was expanding, the Vilani found it difficult to maintain control across such great distances with jump-1 their maximum rate of travel and communication. At the same time, each of the three power classes of the Vilani society found themselves threatened by the forces around it.
Three bureaux were established, Sharurshid, Makhidkarun, and Naasirka, each independent of the other two, and each assigned a territory among the stars for which it was responsible. Each of the three bureaux was effectively identical, but they initially espoused different philosophies, which were based on their origins. The bureaux maintained their own governments within their territories.
Grand Empire of Stars
At first, the Empire had no emperor. Within 10 years, the chairman of the Isgiirdi (elected for life by the council) was declared the Ishimkarun (Anglic: Ishimkarun), the Shadow Emperor, who ruled by published proclamation, but never appeared in public.
In −3610, the Shadow Emperor became Emperor of the Stars, who was absolute monarch of the Empire. Successors were elected from the Igsiirdi upon the death of the old emperor.
For nearly 1,200 years the Grand Empire of Stars kept peace among its star spanning population. However, the empire insisted on cultural rigidity.
The beginning of the end of Vilani domination, however, was emphasized when the Terrans contacted the empire in −2422.
- By −2400 the Terrans and the Vilani were at war.
- By −2219 the Terrans had surpassed the Vilani technology and were marching through the cities of Vland as conquerors, and the Grand Empire of Stars was at an end.
Major Historical Events Timeline: 1116
These are some of the more important historical events that have affected this polity:
- (-10004): Vilani space exploration program begins using using sublight (NAFAL) drives.
- (-9893): Vilani establish scientific bases throughout their solar (star) system.
- (-9394): Vilani begin launching colony missions to other worlds and systems.
- (-9310): Vilani discover intelligent lifeforms on other worlds using sublight (NAFAL) drives.
- (-9303): Viliani discover first Minor Human Race.
- (-9235): Vilani discover the J-1 Jump Drive
- (-5400 to -4045): Consolidation Wars
- Vilani war against fringe cultures.
- (-5230): Vilani discover the J-2 Jump Drive
- (-5188): Vilani Bureaux (Shangarim) established. Vilani space distributed amongst bureaux.
- (-4045): Ziru Sirka founded.
- The Vilani calendar starts on this date.
- (-4035): Chairman of the Igsiirdi (lifetime executive leader) declared.
- Shadow Emperor rules behind the scenes in a quasi-acknowledged role.
- (-4014 to -2423): Pax Vilanica
- (-4000): Exploration by the Ziru Sirka ceases as internal disorder intensifies.
- (-3610): Shadow Emperor officially becomes the Emperor of the Stars, an absolute monarch.
- (-3000): Scientific research controlled and then stopped altogether as internal disorder continues to intensify.
- (-2422): First Contact with the Terrans
- (-2404 to -2215): Interstellar Wars
- (-2400): Terran Confederation officially at war with the Ziru Sirka
- (-2219): Terran technology begins to supercede Vilani technical achievement.
The civilization and society of this species is known as [blank].
Government and Politics
Military and Intelligence
The Ziru Sirka was known for maintaining massive armies and enormous battlefleets to enforce its authority. Now, the once mighty Vilani military has, for the most part, been subjugated into the Third Imperium's military.
Vland began tightening its control of its trade sphere, and finally organizing it into a centralized state in −5273. This marked the beginnings of the First Imperium, although there was as yet no emperor. During the thousand year period of the Consolidation Wars, Vland conquered and absorbed its enemies until there were no longer any civilized states on its borders (except for a portion of the Vargr Extents, isolated from the Imperium by the Windhorn rift).
The last war ended in −4045, and the Vilani declared the establishment of an interstellar empire to govern all Vilani territory. Known as the Grand Empire of Stars or Ziru Sirka, Vilani dating begins at this point. With no exterior threats, the Ziru Sirka lasted for nearly 1800 years; at its height, which was attained soon after the end of the wars, the First Imperium contained 27 sectors and over 15,000 worlds.
- Please see polity entry at Ziru Sirka for more information.
Business and Trade
- Please see polity entry at Ziru Sirka for more information.
Calendar and Timekeeping
The Vilani calendar has its basis in the depths of antiquity; its units were dictated by the period and rotation of Vland (the Vilani homeworld) around Urakkalan, its star.
Vilani dates count from the year of the Establishment of the First Imperium (the Vilani Imperium). Those before are suffixed PI (Pre-Imperium); those after are suffixed VI (Vilani Imperium). There is no year zero. Vilani years are approximately 1.33 standard years in length (496 days). Vilani years are further subdivided into seasons, months, and weeks.
Research and Technology
Most Vilani worlds are TL 7 to 14 averaging TL 9 to 12.
In GURPS 4e they are TL(6+4)^ (Robotics TL(6+1); Medicine TL7) "Vilani use crude, single-purpose industrial robots, but they do not build general-purpose robots, nor do they produce computers with any degree of self-programming ability" (GURPS Traveler Interstellar Wars pg 161)
In −9235 the Vilani made their ultimate breakthrough, one that would assure their ascendance for the next 6000 years. A research team working on the fringes of the Vland system created the first working prototype jump drive and demonstrated its effects.
In −5430, the Vilani finally discovered jump-2. No other race had jump-2, and the Vilani maintained its monopoly on jump-2 by jealously guarding its secrets from all subject races.
Vilani merchants and traders are well-known throughout Imperial space and beyond.
- Please see polity entry at Ziru Sirka for more information.
The homeworld of this race is:
World Listing: 1116
Significant communities of this race (sophont species) are known to exist within the following systems and on the following worlds:
Sector Listing: 1116
This race (sophont species) is primarily located in the following areas:
References and contributors
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- MegaTraveller Alien - Vilani & Vargr
- Classic Traveller The Traveller Book
- Marc Miller. Marc Miller's Traveller (Imperium Games, 1996), 186.
- GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars
- External Link: Vilani Dating info
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science