Genetic Engineering, geneering, genetic modification and gene splicing are terms for the process of manipulating genes, generally implying that the process is outside the organism's natural reproductive process.
- Major Race
- Minor Race
- Variant Race
Genetic engineering involves the isolation, manipulation, transfer, and reintroduction of DNA into cells or model organisms usually to express a protein.
The aim is to introduce new characteristics or attributes physiologically or physically, such as making a crop resistant to a herbicide, introducing a novel trait, or producing a new protein or enzyme, along with altering the organism to produce more of certain traits.
Genetic engineering can be used to alter a life form for adaptability to other worlds by introducing traits that will aid in survival.
Technology of Genetics
- TL-0 Found Tools Period
- TL–0: Selective breeding of plants. Domestication of trainable beasts
- TL:1-3 Tool Making Epoch
- TL–3: Selective breeding of beasts with minor morpological changes
- TL:4-6 Division of Labor Epoch
- TL–5: Basic understandings of genetics
- TL:7-9 Processor Epoch
- TL:10-12 Gravitics Epoch
- TL:13-15 Biologicals Epoch
- TL:16-18 Artificials Epoch
Though extensive work a species can be given a radically new biology (e.g. gills, vacuum tolerance, manipulating appendages), this combined with an increase in the potential intelligence is usually called uplifting.
Uplift technology is, for the most part, a very new science for TL–13 and less advanced cultures. Many new life forms have been developed, but they lack the master touch that a group like the Ancients possessed.
Human geneered species
Human chimera are Chimeras using Humaniti as the, or one of the, base species while engineering the new species. Such species are known as Variant Human Races. Some human chimera found within Charted Space include:
- Lamura Teg (Supra-Species)
Non-human geneered species
Terragens are Chimera using one of the non-human species from Terra (Solomani Rim 1827). The Solomani, as one of the leading uplift engineers, extensively used species from their homeworld as the source for a number of uplift projects. The Ancients, another leading uplift engineers, also used Terra as a source of several known sophonts.
History and background
Genetically Modified Organisms
Lifeforms that have been genetically engineered are known by a variety of terms including:
- Artificial Life
- Artificial Lifeform
- Artificial Duplicate ("Ditto" or "Golem")
- Cisgenesic Life
- Cisgenic Lifeform
- Claytronic Life
- Claytronic Lifeform
- Genetically Modified Organism (GMO)
- Grey Goo
- Intragenic Life
- Intragenic Lifeform
- Living Modified Organism
- Meta Lifeform
- Paratransgenetic Life
- Paratransgenetic Lifeform
- Pseudobiological Robot
- Pseudo Lifeform
- Synthetic Life
- Synthetic Lifeform
- Transgenic Life
- Transgenic Lifeform
The genetic engineering process is often known by other phrases and terms including:
- Accelerated Evolution
- DNA Doctoring
- Epigenetic modification
- Forced Evolution
- Gene Splicing
- Genetic Engineering
- Genetic Modification
- Progressive Evolution
References and contributors
|This article has Metadata|
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Genetic_engineering. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. The text of Wikipedia is available under the Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.|
- Dave Nilsen. The Regency Sourcebook (Game Designers Workshop, 1995), 78.
- Kevin Knight. Traveller Chronicle 08 (Sword of the Knight Publications, 1995), .
- Jean Rabe. "Bits of Biotechnology." Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society 25 (1996): 13.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 82-91.
- Jae Campbell. Encyclopaedia Dagudashaag (Signal-GK, 2017), 112.
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science