A Variant Race is a distinct intelligent species created by genetic engineering on a species most often after it has achieved sophontdom, but not necessarily become a member of the interstellar community.
- Major Race
- Minor Race
- Variant Race
Many laymen consider such species to be minor races, but since they have had no chance to invent jump drive on their own, but may be descended from races that did, they don't fit the usual definition of either.
- Most scientists use the term Variant Race to indicate these genetically engineered populations.
Known Variant Human Races: 1105
The following known variant races exist within Charted Space:
Known Variant Non-Human Races: 1105
The following known variant non-Human races are known to reside within Charted Space:
By far the largest number of variant races have been created by various branches of Humaniti.
- Variant races may or may not rate their own taxonomic name.
- This often depends on political considerations, although sometimes there are sound practical reasons for an omission.
World Listing: 1105
Significant communities of these species are known to reside within the following systems and worlds:
References & Contributors (Sources)
- GURPS Traveller: Humaniti
- Far Future Enterprises T5: Core rules
- Author & Creator: Hans Rancke-Madsen
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science