Aethon class Heavy Fighter
|Aethon class Heavy Fighter|
Distant Fringe vessel.
|Type: PH Heavy Fighter|
|Also see||Heavy Fighter|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|Cost|| MCr44.700 (base)|
|Passengers||0 High/Med 0 Low|
|Reference||Fan: Ade Alagoric Stewart|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard.|
The Aethon class Heavy Fighter is a combatant smallcraft.
- It is a military ship and a fighter.
- This is a generic class of smallcraft.
- Please also see AAB article: Ships of the Distant Fringe.
- Please also see AAB article: Warships of the Distant Fringe.
- The vessel is a TL-9 design.
General Description & Deck Plans
No information yet available.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||The Heavy Fighter is constructed using a 20 dTon hull built in a generally wedge-shaped configuration. The hull is fully streamlined and has airfoil surfaces, giving good atmospheric performance that is further enhanced by its onboard gravitic systems.|
|2.||Crew|| Total Crew Complement: 2
|3.||Performance|| The vessel mounts a Maneuver-6 drive and a Power Plant-16, giving performance of 6-G acceleration and generating 3.6 Energy Points. The ship has an agility rating of 6. The internal fuel tankage is sufficient to give the power plant approximately 4 weeks duration.
|4.||Electronics||The cockpit contains x2 acceleration couches and control equipment. The vessel is fitted with a Model/2 Computer: no backup computer is installed.|
|6.||Armament||The normal weapons fit-out for a Heavy Fighter is:|
|7.||Defenses|| The hull is unarmored.
|8.||Craft||The vessel carries no subcraft.|
|9.||Fuel Treatment||The vessel has internal fuel tankage of 3 Tons.|
|10.||Cost|| The basic cost of the vessel is MCr44.700.
|11.||Construction Time|| 24 weeks (5.5 months) as standard.
|12.||Comments||The vessel has no internal cargo capacity.|
An ubiquitous design used throughout the Distant Fringe, the Heavy Fighter is durable and reliable. The design is representative and a large number of variants exist, particularly with regard to the allotted weapons systems and onboard electronics. Despite their status as space fighters, designs of this type have airframe features, augmenting their handling characteristics within planetary atmospheres.
Distant Fringe Vessels
The Distant Fringe is said to be a far spinward-rimward area inhabited by colonists and refugees originating on Terra. The region is extremely isolated, separated from the rest of Charted Space by vast, almost uncrossable rifts that were once broached by a system of calibration Points and the use of tankers. Those few academics within Charted Space who have found references to the Distant Fringe regard it as little more than a tall tale. Likewise, many of the inhabitants of the Distant Fringe believe the existence of Charted Space to be mythical.
Vessels originating within the Distant Fringe are very rarely encountered outside of the region. However, misjumps do occur and anomalies with bizarre spacetime and Jumpspace effects exist: as such, craft of this type are not entirely unknown within Charted Space.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
Individual vessels are generally named by their crews.
- Individual vessels within the class are issued specific serial numbers and transponder codes.
- Naming a ship is considered a serious affair and is generally accompanied by a traditional ceremony, usually pouring a local beverage over the bows of the craft. Spacefarers tend to be superstitious folk and a ship with a frivolous name is considered "unlucky".
Selected Variant Types & Classes
|This article has Metadata|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science