Outpost (RD 1926) (world)
This is a world-system under construction and is currently being input-programmed into the Traveller RPG Wiki.
|Outpost/Drexilthar (Reaver's Deep 1926)|
|Classic Era (1115)|
|Primary||K7 V M5 V|
Outpost (RD 1926) is a nonindustrial world, that requires extensive imports of outside technology to maintain a modern, star-faring society.
- It is a client state of the Third Imperium in the Drexilthar Subsector of Reaver's Deep Sector in the Domain of Ilelish.
- This world has a nearby Imperial Naval Base.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
- The naval base known as Outpost lies on the third satellite of the system's innermost gas giant. Aside form naval personnel, a small population of civilians (most of them not Imperial citizens) have established themselves on the world in support of the military population.
- Outpost also boasts a fairly large starport, making the world a major crossroads of trade in this portion of the subsector.
Outpost was established for a number of reasons. First, it provides a certain degree of security and protection to trade in the region, formerly menaced by piracy and strife. In the second place, it maintains communications between the Imperium and the Confederacy of Duncinae, an Imperial client in the Ea subsector adjacent. These two major functions make the naval installation an important presence in the Drexilthar subsector.
Though the world has little to offer the casual visitor, it is a major stopping-point for commercial vessels. Outpost has excellent port facilities, few restrictions on trade or conduct and is a crossroads where information, goods and equipment of many kinds are obtainable.
Binary Solar System
Outpost (RD 1926) Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Outpost (RD 1926) Primary Primary Orange K7 V None Outpost (RD 1926) Companion Secondary Red M5 V None
Primary: Binary star system: Major, Dareenal, spectral class K7V ICN S4K0306K7V. Mass 0.538 standard. Stellar diameter 0.559 standard. Luminosity 0.064 standard. Companion, Keneer (orbit #1), spectral class M5V. ICN S4K0306M5V. Mass 0.331 standard. Stellar diameter 0.358 standard. Luminosity 0.007 standard.
Planetary System: Three major bodies. Three gas giants, one inhabited gas giant satellite (Outpost, Ic), one planetoid belt in system.
Ic Outpost: Mean orbital radius of primary, 152.5 million kilometers (1.02 AU). Period of Primary, 512.98 days. Primary is large gas giant, designated Utgard. Primary diameter, 106,000 kilometers. Density, 0.21. Mass, 119.3 standard. Nine satellites ... Outpost, third moon (Ic); mean orbital radius, 1.06 million kilometers. Period, 11.06 days ... No satellites ... Diameter, 1,995 kilometers. Density, 1.01. Mass, 0.0019 standard. Mean surface gravity, 0.13G. Rotation period: none (tidal lock with primary). Axial Inclination, 2°5'17.2" Albedo, .01 ... Surface atmospheric pressure, 0.05atm; composition, chlorine-fluorine mix. Atmosphere requires pressure and oxygen gear. Hydrographic percentage, 2%; composition, frozen water-ice. Temperature varies with position of M5V companion star; extremes are 99 days apart. Lower extreme Is -180.6°C. Upper extreme Is -80.7°C.
History & Background (Dossier)
Some controversy surrounds the naval base on Outpost, however, as It is maintained in violation of the treaty which ended the Aslan Border Wars between the Imperium and various pirate clans. In that treaty, the territories of Reavers' Deep between the two interstellar cultures were made a neutral region, under no one's control. In establishing the base at Outpost, the Imperium made use of a loophole which allowed ground to be leased from client planets or states by the two empires for the purpose of protecting those clients.
- Outpost was settled in 870 by 500 colonists, many of them retiring Imperial naval personnel.
- In 871, they signed a treaty establishing themselves as a client world and construction of the base followed almost immediately. Protests have been filed by certain influential Aslan clans, but otherwise no action has been taken. Nonetheless, there is a certain amount of pressure on responsible Imperial officials to shut down the base, generated both within and without the Imperium ... pressure which has been exploited by parties interested in seeing the Imperial presence diminished.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|