|Government||Civil service bureaucracy|
|Army Size (BEs)||30|
|World Trade Number||3|
|Trade Volume (MCr/year)||0|
|Building Capacity (Tons)||66,000|
|Port passengers (annual)||0|
Chaosheo is a water world with a world wide ocean, and a tainted atmosphere. The system supports a population between 100 million and one billion sophonts. This world designated as an Amber Zone. Caution is advised since the world has an environment, laws, customs, life forms, or other conditions that are not well understood and might be a danger to a visitor. It is a member of Third Imperium in the Star Lane Subsector of Deneb Sector and in the Domain of Deneb. Chaosheo, as a member world of the Third Imperium, holds the estate of an Imperial knight and the fiefdom of a marquis. Both are members of the Imperial Nobility charged with overseeing the world.
|Government||Civil service bureaucracy|
|Army Size (BEs)||200|
|World Trade Number||4.5|
|Trade Volume (MCr/year)||11,610|
|Building Capacity (Tons)||143,000|
|Port passengers (annual)||1,000|
Era: New Era
Chaosheo is a moderate population, preindustrial water world.
- Its surface is 90% or more covered in an ocean of water.
- The inhabitants of this world live on the roughly 10% of exposed land mass, in underwater colonies, on city ships, or similar arrangements.
- As a preindustrial world, this planet cannot yet manufacture enough high-technology resources to support a modern, star-faring society. Having to import most manufactured and high tech goods drives the price up for these items at this world. This world designated as an Amber Zone. Caution is advised since the world has an environment, laws, customs, life forms, or other conditions that are not well understood and might be a danger to a visitor. It is a member of Regency of Deneb in the Star Lane Subsector of Deneb Sector.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
Chaosheo is a cold planet with one moon, on the outer edge of the habitable zone. Its average temperature is 11 °C. Its ocean has an average depth of 5,700 meters and its surface gravity is 1.05G. It has a year of 324 standard days; its actual day length is 30 hours.
Chaosheo Monostellar System Star Name Hierarchy Category Mass (Sol) Temp (K) Luminosity (Sol) Chaosheo
Primary Main Sequence 0.5214 3000 - 3800 0.056 Unit Diameter Min Distance Hab Zone Jump Shadow M-Drive Limit AU 0.00517 0.01963 0.19 - 0.31 0.517 5.17 Orbit # * * 0 1 6
Rather than using stellar energy to fuel photosynthesis, as in typical plant-based ecologies, the Shi’awei ecosystem is based on chemosynthesis: the metabolism and derivation of energy from the chemicals (especially hydrogen sulfide) in the very hot, mineral-rich water that is expelled from the geothermal vents in the seafloor habitat.
The natives, the Shi'awei, are a race of bulky aquatic sentients who live near geothermal vents in the sea floor. In appearance, they are bulky, bullet-shaped creatures with four evenly spaced arms. The heat given off by the vents supports their life cycle and affords an opportunity for rudimentary metalworking. Thus, the Shi'awei have been able to progress slowly to tech level 1 despite the rigors of their environment.
The Shi'awei are generally considered 'enigmatic'.
History & Background (Dossier)
The world is notable as the homeworld of the Shi'awei, an aquatic Minor Race that lives near geothermal vents in the sea floor. The Scout Service had initially interdicted in 314 the world to protect the Shi'awei, but after a civilian transport misjumped into the system in 1073, Chaosheo was given its current Amber Zone travel advisory.
- Before 1073 the world was listed as 314-765, and was patrolled regularly by IISS cruisers. At the time of its discovery, Imperial law regarding contact with primitive races had become punitive regarding outside interference. The Shi'awei were barely TL 1 at that time, and had no concept of the universe outside of their world, and their race was one of the first to benefit from these more stringent regulations.
- Current IISS doctrine discourages interstellar contact between the Imperium and sophonts below tech level 5. In fact, Imperial law forbids unlicensed trade with such primitive populations. However, exceptions to these rules occur, one being the case of Chaosheo.
- The IISS had long been aware of the Shi'awei, but the Scouts judged them unready for contact and interdicted the system. In 1073, however, the liner Ishgarlu, misjumped insystem from nearby Mora Subsector. A computer failure caused the ship's jump field to malform, and the ship jumped parsecs off course. Its communications were knocked out, preventing a mayday, and the vessel precipitated too close to the world for the Scout cruisers to detect. The ship crashed in a shallow shoal, alerting the curious Shi'awei, who explored the wreck and interacted directly with the survivors. Several days passed before the crew managed to salvage a radio with a range long enough to contact the interdiction patrol. The rescue and recovery of the Ishgarlu and its survivors took several days, further contaminating the world.
- The incident sparked a major controversy within the IISS and subsector nobility. A debate raged between senior bureaucrats who resented the Ishgarlu's intrusion, and opportunistic academics and IISS contact specialists who urged a lifting of the world's interdiction. A compromise was worked out in 1075 that opened the world to limited contact, through the auspicies of IISS, and the interdiction was raised to a partial quarantine.
- Since 1073, a simple landing facility has been built for incoming starships; Chaosheo's travel code has been upgraded from Red to Amber. Trade with the Shi'awei is limited, but the Scouts have been busy learning more about the biology and sociology of Chaosheo's fascinating inhabitants.
- The Imperium, and later the Regency, lucked out with the Shi'awei, who are by nature a curious and gregarious race, lacking xenophobia and free of the dogmatic superstitions that contact specialists use to justify the interdiction of developing cultures. Indeed the Shi'awei have adapted so well to offworld contact that it sparked a major controversy in the Imperial bureaucracy in the last few years before the Civil War over the entire validity of the non-interference philosophy.
- Commercial contact on Chaosheo is limited to the Crashsite Downport, located, naturally, near the Ishgarlu's old crash site, and a surrounding commercial zone 15 km in diameter. Supervised trade has allowed the aliens to dramatically increase their technological repertoire, and a number of industrial goods are being produced locally. The Shi'awei are very good at abstract thinking, and hands on artisanship, and a small number of their best and brightest have journeyed to Regency universities to be educated in various subjects.