- 1 Details / Specifications
- 2 Physical Astrography
- 3 Political Astrography
- 4 History & Background
- 5 References & Contributors / Sources
Details / Specifications
The K'shek Cluster is named for the K'shek system and its bright primary star. It lies within Sath Subsector in Far Home Sector and is accessible by conventional jump-1 vessels. The cluster has been inhabited for millennia and is home to billions of Sath: lying at its heart is Ch'kaahi, their homeworld. The Cluster has a rich and complex history and many ancient traditions. It lies on the edge of the Great Void and is considered to be at the rimward boundary of the Moat Rifts.
Other Clusters & Traces
Rifts & Voids
Other Astrographic Features
- The Cauldron Nebula, lying within Cauldron Sector, some 86 parsecs to coreward-trailing, can be seen as a star-studded luminous region in night-time skies from all of the worlds of the Cluster.
- Basilisk's Eye (1723 Tarchon Sector). The extremely luminous white supergiant star, lying around 122 parsecs to coreward-trailing, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Cluster.
- Demon's Eye (1621 Far Home Sector). The intensely luminous blue supergiant star lying approximately 15 parsecs to spinward-coreward at its closest point, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Cluster even in daylight.
- Manjazar, the red bright giant primary star of the Sarudis system, Manusta, the red giant primary of the Quistil system, and Intens, the white bright giant primary star of the Orret system, all lying to spinward-coreward of Sath territory, can be clearly seen from all of the worlds of the Cluster. They are beacons marking the boundaries of a slumbering giant, one that should not yet be woken.
Two Jump Bridges have been constructed to give Jump-1 vessels access to the Sha'a Cluster and the Chaiik system, the seat of the Issh’t’ka, and a third Jump Bridge has been emplaced to open the worlds of the Hak'tha Spread to regular traffic:
- Sch'ikaa Waypoint (2435 Far Home)
- Tiirk'sch Waypoint (2536 Far Home)
- Ith-Saa-Ka Waypoint (3038 Far Home)
The K'shek Cluster lies within the following Subsector:
Population: 9.204 billion Sophonts.
The following languages are the most commonly spoken within the Cluster:
- Asath. A Sath language, the primary language of the Shikh’aa Faction of the Sath Alliance.
- Kha’thak. A Sath language, the primary language of the Ka’sa and Khas'ahi Factions of the Sath Alliance.
The K'shek Cluster is a part of the Sath Alliance: its systems are controlled by the powerful Shikh’aa Faction of the Alliance. Humans are not welcome within Alliance territory: those few humans that stray into the K'shek Cluster are generally met with a hostile reception and are closely monitored at all times.
The Shikh’aa Faction is focused on internal development and expansion into the clusters of unclaimed worlds lying within the Moat Rifts and Great Void. Much of its recent effort has gone into the construction of the Ith-Saa-Ka Waypoint, lying within interstellar hex (3038) of Far Home Sector and it is preparing large-scale colonisation of the worlds of the Hak'tha Spread. The Shikh’aa Faction does not trust the Ka’sa and Khas'ahi Factions and does not approve of their frivolous and cavalier wars against the humans. It is obliged by honor and by treaty to offer some degree of support to its fellow Sath, but it maintain large defense forces and powerful garrisons on its worlds in case they see easier targets closer to home.
- The worlds of the Cluster teem with activity and its ports are lousy with ships.
History & Background
Sath detest humans, who they regard as interlopers and thieves who have stolen "their" region of space. Humans have held them back and thwarted every effort that they have made to claim their rightful place among the stars. They have been restricted to the Sha'a Cluster and the K'shek Cluster while humans have seized everything else.
Humans have always been extremely reluctant to provide any jump-2 drives to the Sath. As a consequence the Sath have been dependent on jump-1 designs and have made extensive use of Jump Bridges, the Sch'ikaa and Tiik'sch Waypoints, to connect the two clusters of stars that form the heart of their territories.
The Sath gained the ability to manufacture their own jump-2 drives during the middle years of the 56th century and this advance has opened a whole new era, allowing them to compete on equal terms with humans for the first time in their history. They have begun to flex their muscles and use their new technology, spilling out into previously unexplored space.
Major Historical Events
- ca 150,000BCE Proto-Sath emerge on Ch'kaahi, their homeworld.
- ca 12000 BCE: first permnanent settlements founded. Origins of the Factions.
- ca 1500AD–2200AD: Global wars drive a period of technological advancement.
- 2255AD: Humans arrive in the Demon Cluster.
- 2325AD: Humans detect radio signals of Sath origin from the surface of Ch'kaahi.
- ca 2350AD: First human-Sath contact.
- 2468AD: The Jacent Incident. Beginning of the Sath Introspective Period.
- 2525AD: First independently produced Sath jump-capable ship.
- ca 2550 AD: First Sch'ikaa Waypoint becomes operational.
- ca 2600 AD: First Tiik'sch Waypoint becomes operational.
- 2657AD: Battle of Jacent.
- 3730AD: Voyagers arrive and devastate the Sector. The Dark Age begins.
- 4549AD: The Voyagers depart and the Dark Age ends.
- 4590AD: The Sath reemerge into space.
- ca 5100AD: Second Sch'ikaa Waypoint becomes operational.
- ca 5100AD: Second Tiik'sch Waypoint becomes operational.
- ca 5220AD: STL probes are launched towards the Hak'tha Spread.
- 5338AD: Voyage of the Hiishiiha.
- ca 5450AD: Faction wars within the Sath Alliance: the Sath Diaspora.
- 5538AD: Long-range scouting missions are sent into the Hak'tha Spread.
- ca 5550AD: The Sath technological base advances to the point where they are able to produce their own jump-2 drives.
- 5596AD: The Sath occupy the Hell Worlds.
- 5599AD: The Ith-Saa-Ka Waypoint becomes operational.
- 5600AD: Data for the K'shek Cluster is published in the DSP Listing.