|Status||Minor Human Race|
|Homeworld||Shiwonee (Massilia 1430)|
|Reference||Research Station Gamma 43.|
The Geonee are a Minor Human Race, famed for their claim to be the Ancients. While this claim is generally not accepted, they do have one of the oldest human interstellar cultures in Charted Space, behind only the Suerrat and Vilani, and some of the highest technology.
- 1 Physical sophontology
- 2 Archaeological sophontology
- 3 Cultural sophontology
- 4 Societal sophontology
- 5 Astrography
- 6 References and contributors
The Geonee are a short, stocky, and very muscular race. Their average height is about 1.5 m and their average weight is about 65 kg. Humans have a conventional carbon-water based biochemistry. Humans use a conventional respiration cycle consisting of Oxygen-nitrogen inhalant and Carbon dioxide exhalant.
- Bilateral symmetry (2-ial)
- Tetrapod (4-ped)
- Two limbs used for manipulation "arms"
- Former excavator (still capable digger)
- Two limbs used for locomotion (biped) "legs"
- Two limbs used for manipulation "arms"
- Body consists of three segments
- Head with sensors and multiple-use orifice (consumption, communication, and respiration)
- Torso with manipulatory limbs
- Abdomen with locomotor limbs
Climate and environment preferences
- Hyper-acclimitization: Known to quickly adapt to many different climates and environments.
- Requires shelter and clothing.
- Prefer to shelter in defensible dens protected from the elements. At home in subterranean environments.
Humans are primarily a diurnal species and are active by daylight and rest during the night. They use a wide variety of technologies to master their environment including terraforming. Geonee humans prefer volcanicly active worlds and enjoy extensively reinforced networks of subterranean cave dwellings.
Diet and trophics
Life Cycle and reproduction
Humans have the following reproductive characteristics::
- Two genders (male & female)
- Mild sexual dimorphism
- (sexual reproduction)
- Reproduces through conjugal intercourse
- Varied mating systems (primarily monogamy)
- Viviparous birth
- (Iteroparous): Uses K-selection and have few offspring that require considerable amounts of time to raise to maturity.
The Geonee were originally thought to be a Major Race, since they had jump drive when first encountered by the Vilani some 10,000 years ago (in fact, they had built their first jump drive several years before the Vilani completed theirs). However, it was later determined that their development of jump drive was based on a recovered Ancient starship, rather than independent research. This revelation has colored interstellar opinion of Geonee achievement ever since, and they are generally not regarded as being of major race status.
Major historical events timeline
Some of the richest Ancient sites have been discovered near the Geonee homeworld, and there is a very old rumor that the Imperial Navy once recovered an entire Ancient starship, the Bradeeva.
Acceptance of this legend among the Geonee is so extensive that they have even attempted to sue the Imperium for the vessel's recovery; but no physical evidence of the Bradeeva's existence was ever brought to light, and the case was dismissed.
Geonee Cultural Region
The Geonee Cultural Region is rich in Ancient artifacts. The Imperium has verified that artifacts have been recovered from Lagna (Massilia 1029) and Shiwonee (Massilia 1430). The Geonee themselves claim that all eight of their worlds were originally inhabited by the "Geonee"; that is, the Ancients. One interesting point is that all eight systems contain extensive asteroid belts. The Geonee claim that these are the remnants of worlds destroyed in the Final War, but most Imperial scientists dispute this, while admitting that the frequency of belts is, statistically speaking, unusually high.
- Please see Geonee Cultural Region for more information.
The Geonee possess one of the oldest known cultures in known space and their area of control in the Massilia Sector, is made up of eight worlds, known as the Geonee Cultural Region.
Major race status
Despite the archeological evidence, the Geonee dispute their current classification and hold the (unshared) view that they are of Major Race standing. In fact, they believe themselves to be the Ancients, and therefore were using their own vessel to regain spaceflight. There are three reasons for this.
First, the Geonee had one of the highest tech levels of all the races discovered by the Vilani. Second, Geonee legends and "racial memories" tell of a time when they travelled among the stars, until a great war confined them to their homeworld. Third, the Geonee Cultural Region contains some of the most extensive sets of Ancients ruins known, including facilities that were obviously set up for humans. The word "Geonee" means "old ones," and is itself a very old term for the inhabitants of the Region.
Government and politics
The Geonee government is known as the Geonee Confederation.
Military and intelligence
Geonee maintain local constabularies and are garrisoned by the Imperial military. The Geonee also maintain a private military known as the Geonee Self Defense Forces.
- Please see Geonee Self Defense Forces for more information.
- Please see polity entry at Geonee Confederation for more information.
Technology and trade
The Geonee are part of the Third Imperium and maintain a technological level of expertise between TL-10 and TL-14. Some Geonee lead researchers have even begun to make breakthroughs classified as TL-15. Geonee merchants and traders are well known throughout the Third Imperium and beyond.
Please see Geonee Confederation for more information.
This race is primarily located in the following areas:
The Geonee have settled on numerous worlds within the Imperium. Their population in 1116 is estimated to be at least 65 billion members.
World Listing: 1116
Significant communities of this race (sophont species) are known to exist within the following systems and worlds:
References and contributors
|This article has a secret.|
- Marc Miller. Research Station Gamma (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 43.
- John Harshman, Marc Miller, Loren Wiseman. Library Data (A-M) (Game Designers Workshop, 1981), 34.
- Gary L. Thomas. "Shiwonee Subsector." The Travellers' Digest 11 (1989): 14-21.
- Loren Wiseman, Jon F. Zeigler. Humaniti (Steve Jackson Games, 2003), 68-78.
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science