Three or more equal masses (worlds) set at the points of an equilateral polygon, and with the correct equal angular velocities about their center of masses, will have a stable orbital configuration. The group does not require a central star.
- This configuration is sometimes known as a Klemperer Rosette.
- Please see Planetoid, Ringworld, Sphereworld for information about related technologies.
Library Data Referral Tree
- Applied Astrography
- Exotic Astrography
- Physical Astrography
- Social Astrography
Rosettes almost never occur naturally.
Rosettes are buildable at TL-Q (TL-24).
- In the UWP, the "main" rosette world is listed, and is given the comment code "Ax". Thus, if the UWP listing just looks like a world, but it has "Ax" code, this is a rosette. Or if not, then something more unusual, such as a small ringworld or "capsule" sphereworld. Additional information will be expected.
- The Ancients created a rosette of five worlds at Tireen (in the Vargr Extents). Five planets were shifted into points equidistant from each other in the same orbit and then transformed into identical habitats. Evidence as to what the worlds were like before the shift is lacking, so the degree of transformation is unknown, but even shifting worlds in their orbits consumes unbelievable amounts of energy, and the Ancients shifted at least four worlds in that system.
- Each of the worlds has physical characteristics 484, which indicates that the worlds would be especially hospitable to Droyne. At least one of the worlds in the rosette was inhabited by Droyne when the system was discovered by Vargr in -2530, but they have since died out.
- Given the UWP: Tireen B48497A-9 Hi Ax, the mainworld Tireen is a typical world, but the Ax comment code shows that it is in fact one of a rosette of worlds.
- Note that even though rosettes are TL-24 technology, the technology on the worlds themselves may be at any level at all.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- Some have conjectured that these may be areas where the Ancients were particularly active.
World Listing: 1105