Psychohistory is the study of the psychological motivations of historical events, combining history, sociology and mathematical statistics to predict collective actions of large groups of people.
- The science of historical prediction and macro-social manipulation.
The main thesis of psychohistory is that the actions of trillions of individuals take on a fluidity and predictability which can be compared to that of molecules in a gas. The very size of the population being dealt with factors out individual peculiarities, and allows the prediction of its behavior.
- With the ability to predict the reaction of a population to a particular stimulus comes the ability to manipulate that population, psychohistorians reason.
Psychohistory began as a combination of public relations/advertising techniques and behaviorial science, and although its techniques have been put on a more rigorous footing, the basic principles are still not well understood. A number of minor experiments have confirmed the general validity of the science, but it was also shown to be too expensive to be of any practical utility.
- Research continues at a small number of Imperial universities.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
While many different sophonts and interstellar societies have taken an interest in the fine art of Psychohistory, only a few interstellar societies and species have taken a strong interest in the science, and these groups include:
World Listing: 1105
|This article has a secret.|
- Classic Traveller Supplement 11 Library Data (N-Z)
- Marc Miller's Traveller T4 Milieu 0
- John Griffiths, Richard Hazlewood, Nik Kraakenes. Career Book 2 (Spica Publishing, 2009), TBD.
- Novel: Traveller 5th Edition Agent of the Imperium
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science