The Fast Drug is named because it makes the universe (to its user) appear to move much more quickly. 
The drug slows down personal metabolism at a ratio of approximately 60 to 1. Users are extremely vulnerable because they are living at such a slow rate; but physical aging is also slowed, and the need for consumable supplies is reduced, thus allowing conservation of air and food.  This can be particularly useful when trapped on a ship without properly functional life support systems.
Fast Antidote Drug
Fast drug takes effect immediately upon ingestion; one dose typically lasts for up to sixty days, making that time appear to be only one day. An antidote exists which cancels the effect remaining when taken.  An antidote is available to end the effect before sixty days.
Many societies experiment with extremely low temperature baths to slow down metabolism and others artificially induce comas. By the TL:10-12 epoch, the fast drug has become ubiquitous and highly valued for survival or emergency applications. The Fast Drug Berth has become an alternative to Low Berths in some areas.
- Marc Miller. Starships (Game Designers Workshop, 1977), 44.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 67.
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Traveller: The New Era (Game Designers Workshop, 1993), 335.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Author & Contributor: Master Scout, and Former Naval Architech CRHensley of the Ministry of Science
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science