An Aslan Clan (Huiha) is a collection of Ahriy (Prides), lead by the male head of one of the constituent ekho (families). The Clan is the smallest unit of government in the Aslan Hierate. Each Clan owes allegiance to or is in alliance with a higher ranking Clan, up to the Tlaukhu.
In the Clan the leading Pride provides the Clan Head (Fouheh). It is to the Clan Head that the members of the constituent Prides give their allegiance, and there is great expectation placed upon the Clan Head to provide for the Clan's members.
Note that Clans can greatly vary in size from small groups of just a few dozen to groups many millions strong.
Social organization is traditionally organized in increasingly larger groupings based upon kinship bonds, debts of honor, and other contractual obligations:
No Aslan authority keeps a complete count of all clans with the Hierate, but over 4,000 are considered politically significant at an interstellar level. Smaller clans, particularly those with less than a world in holdings, are not usually considered significant.
Clans are ranked as follows:
- Tlaukhu block: Group of at least one major clan, and usually 2 to 5 major clans, with all vassals and associated allies.
- Major clan: 8 or more worlds
- Minor clan: 2 to 7 worlds
- Micro clan: 1 or less worlds
Clan status is dynamic. It's very possibly for Clan status and ranking to quickly change during times of conflict. Due to limitations of the speed of communications, news of clan status and ranking changes can take a long time to reach from one end of the Hierate to the other.
Inter Clan Relationships
- Aslan Councils
There are also informal pressures in Aslan society as a whole
- Aslan Culture
- Aslan Mercantile Ventures
At the highest level, the cultural pressures push clans into dialogue rather than conflict as a means of resolving issues. The most widespread forum for such dialog is the Tlaukhu, but smaller regional groupings also exist such as the Ya’soisthea Council.
Membership of these councils is controlled by various clans and access by other clans is via their Vassalage or Alliance relationships with those clans.
Clans may strike alliances to achieve specific outcomes. These are typically between equals with mutual benefits.
The strict Aslan cultural system circumscribes the possible and limits the damages of political disaster.
These are partially outside the usual inter-clan politics because they are operated by the female half of clan society. While the success (or lack of it) of the mercantile side of a clan's operations can greatly influence the clans potential, these connections also act as an informal network for applying political pressures.
Imperial Aslan Clans
As Aslan civilization grew, so did the complexity of its social organization. As early as the time of the Aslan Medieval Period, the Aslan Clan had become the dominant social institution. Increasing the social ties of the clan superceded what many other sophonts called nationalism. Honor-shame paradigms trumped conventional allegiances.
The 29 (Major Clans in Tlaukhu Blocs)
Tlaukhu Ranking & Power Blocks Clan Name Rank[note 1] Bloc[note 2] Aiheilar 31 AsT3 Akatoiloh 22 AsT8 Aokhalte 12 AsT9 Eakhtiyho 05 AsT4 Eisohiyw 16 AsT0 Estoieie' 20 AsT1 Eteawyolei’ 13 AsT4 Faowaou 33 AsT6 Ferekhearl 23 AsT0 Fteweyeakh 27 AsT4 Hlyueawi 06 AsT5 Hrawoao 15 AsT0 Ikhtealyo 10 AsT7 Isoitiyro 17 AsT5 Iykyasea 21 AsT6 Khaukheairl 02 AsT1 Ouokhoi 32 AsT9 Riyhalaei 34 AsT3 Sahao’ 25 AsT9 Seieakh 11 AsT8 Syoisuis 03 AsT2 Tlerlearlyo 24 AsT7 Toaseilwi 26 AsT1 Tralyeaeawi 04 AsT3 Uiktawa 07 AsT6 We’okurir 35 AsT8 Yerlyaruiwo 01 AsT0 Yetahikh 30 AsT7 Yulraleh Eisohiyw 14 AsT3
Clans by group
- Major clan in a Tlaukhu power bloc. (29) [8+ worlds] (AsT0 to AsT9)
- Major clan, unaffiliated and independent. (Many) [8+ worlds] (AsMw single multiple-world clan dominate)
- Major clan, as a vassal to a Tlaukhu major clan. (Many) [8+ worlds] (AsTv vassal clan dominate)
- Minor clan, as a vassal to a major clan. (Many) [2 to 7 worlds] (AsVc vassal clan dominate)
- Minor clan, unaffiliated and independent. (Many) [1 to 7 worlds] (NaAs Non-Aligned Clan Dominate)
- Micro clan, at the world dominance level. (Many) [1 world] (AsWc single one-clan dominate)
- Micro clan, on a split control world. (Many) [Less than 1 world] (AsSc split control)
- The "Unwanted", clanless Aslan. (Many) [Landless] (AsXX)
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|