Unknown Native Language
- This notation is used in IISS files when the language is known and under study.
- Linguists and Xeno-linguists study the languages of sophontic species.
- Please also see: Native Language
There are four reasons for this current lack of knowledge.
- The race is extinct and has left insufficient archeological artifacts to be able to reconstruct the methods of communication and details of the language.
- Proto-Sophont's who have not yet developed a comprehensive language. There may be some communications but a number of important concepts have not been developed.
- The race has, for cultural reasons, refused to allow study of the language.
- The mode of communication is not yet understood. The race may have language and communication but in a way not recognized.
Please contact your local library branch or TAS office for further details.
Case Studies: The Vorstin of Traltha (Spinward Marches 2834) are a proto-sophont, staging coordinated attacks on the human settlements. The isolation of the world and their xenophobic reaction to researchers has made understanding of their developing language a challenge.