|Irlaggur/Urlaqqash (Reaver's Deep 2624)|
|Classic Era (1115)|
|Primary||F0 V M4 D|
Irlaggur is a moderate population pre-industrial hellworld, with over a hundred million, but not yet a billion sophonts struggling to survive in an inhospitable environment.
- Hellworlds often offer daily, and sometimes even hourly, life-threatening situations to their inhabitants. Survivors often form intense survival skills and tend to be grim realists.
- This world would like to become a major industrial powerhouse in the subsector, but lacks the population and resources to build an adequate workforce and industrial business sector.
- It is a member of the Third Imperium in the Urlaqqash Subsector of Reaver's Deep Sector in the Domain of Ilelish.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
Irlaggur is a binary star system whose primary is a red super giant (M0 III).
- The companion star, a white dwarf, orbits at a distance of 3,900 AU.
- The companion's highly eccentric orbit leads many astronomers to suggest it may have been captured by the primary eons ago.
The world is roughly 9,000 kilometers in diameter and occupies the eighth orbital position. Irlaggur has only a few small bodies of water scattered about it surface, most of which are located near the poles.
Binary Solar System
- No results
Irlaggur Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Category Mass (Sol) Temp (K) Luminosity (Sol) Irlaggur
Primary Main Sequence 1.7 6900 - 7400 8.1 Unit Diameter Min Distance Hab Zone Jump Shadow M-Drive Limit AU 0.01582 0.23606 2.26 - 3.69 1.582 15.82 Orbit # * 0 5 4 8 Remarks None
Native Lifeform: Irlaggurian Plankton
Irlaggur's atmosphere consists of a tainted oxygen-nitrogen mix at just less than two standard atmospheres of pressure.
- The taint is an unusual life form known as "Irlaggurian Plankton".
Irlaggurian plankton is similar to plankton often found in the seas of other worlds, but Irlaggur's higher atmospheric pressure and lighter surface gravity make the atmosphere a viable environment for this kind of microscopic life. A human can breathe the plankton-laced air briefly without protection, since the plants are not toxic. Over time, though, some plankton will become lodges in the warm, moist recesses of the lungs, and grow into a colony "infection." If not treated, the lungs will fill with the rapidly reproducing colonies within a week, causing death by suffocation.
Local animal lifeforms have adapted to the plankton-filled air in various way. Some animals who feed on the plankton have unique filters in their respiratory systems that clean out the plankton, and flush the filter plankton into their digestive tracts. Most animals on Irlaggur breathe in a distinctive "snorting" fashion, clearing their lungs of the plankton with each breath. In addition, nearly all Irlaggurian animals have strong alkali linings in their lungs that instantly kill any plankton that lodge there.
Point of Interest: Ancients Site
The rest of the planets in the system are largely unspectacular.
- New Horizons, the discoverer of the site, has been granted permission by local officials to excavate and study it.
History & Background (Dossier)
- The Second Survey of 1065 described the government as a Charismatic Oligarchy. Within 3 year of this survey, a local Councilor named Rendi Garru seized total executive power with the support of the population, and declared himself "First Councilor." Acting as an omnipotent dictator, he quickly forgot his promises of governmental reform and oppressed the populace even more, operating his government as a police state. With a Law level of 'E', Irlaggur is one of the more frigidly controlled societies in Imperial space.
When the Second Survey was released, it listed Irlaggur as a Red Zone due to the rapidly escalating unrest.
- Following Garru's grab for power and his subsequent destruction of rival revolutionary groups, the situation has become less volatile.
- In 1100, the Travellers' Aid Society changed the travel zone to its current Amber status.
- Travellers to Irlaggur are still advised to be cautious, and the local enforcers may use any level of force they deem necessary.
- Only the highest ranking official visitors seem to have any protection from the local enforces.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|