The term Generic Traveller is one used at the Traveller RPG Wiki to describe publications and products produced for Traveller, but not targeted for a specific Version of Traveller, rules set, or setting. The Ludography attempts to assign a specific Traveller rules version to each publication but, as with all categorization systems, there are some exceptions.
The Wiki editorial team applies Generic Traveller version to
- Publications containing only general background information and no specific rules, which allow a Referee to insert this into any campaign.
- Publications containing rules which expand or replace the existing Traveller rules. In many cases these can be used without Traveller, but these are targeted to Traveller Players and Referees.
- Publications designed for non-Traveller game systems, but similar to the above, can expand or replace the existing Traveller rules and background.
- Periodicals generally devoted to the broader gaming market, including other gaming systems, which have some non-canon Traveller content.
- Publications released without the license or approval of the (at the time) Traveller publisher. These are usually published for "any science fiction game", but include directions for use with Traveller.