|Chamati/Kerr (Massilia 0602)|
|Classic Era (1115)|
|New Era (1200)|
Chamati is a poor, low-population world with a population of less than 10,000 sophonts in population size.
- This poor world is struggling to establish itself and living conditions in many areas are rudimentary.
- This is a hot world, with a climate of high temperatures.
- It is a member of the Third Imperium in the Kerr Subsector of Massilia Sector in the Domain of Sylea.
- During the Long Night this world was named Bure.
- This world was once known as 435-563.
- This world was colonized by and is controlled from Kaggushus (world).
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
Chamati is the outermost of three moons that orbit Pencadu (Y-9B0000-0).
- The world is incised by deep rift valleys that are the result of a massive collision earlier in its geological history. The world is hellishly hot on the plateaus and mesas, and most life lives in the midslopes where shade exists to ameliorate local conditions. Most water is found in steamy swamps and saltwater lakes found in the larger rifts, where the air temperature hovers close to boiling. Most local life has evolved as either hyperactive fliers who spend most of the day shedding heat through large wing membranes, or sluggish burrowers who live snugly in the cooler underground.
Chamati Monostellar System Star Name Hierarchy Category Mass (Sol) Temp (K) Luminosity (Sol) Chamati
Primary Main Sequence 1.144 5700 - 6400 2.126 Unit Diameter Min Distance Hab Zone Jump Shadow M-Drive Limit AU 0.01096 0.12094 1.16 - 1.89 1.096 10.96 Orbit # * 0 4 3 7 Remarks
History & Background (Dossier)
Imperial High (Landed) Nobility
History-Era New Era
Chamati was not settled by either the Vilani or the Rule of Man empires. In 880 the world, then known as 435-563, was assayed by mineral surveyors from Towering who discovered a number of unusually high pressure mineral polymorphs, and the weird ecology. The ruling family of Towering acquired the world charter in 888, and an exploratory colony was established in the caldera of an extinct volcano called Tip-Top. Because of the world's diversity in geology and ecology, the local economy revolved around gathering expeditions, experimental farming and pharmaceutical research. Constant travel into the outback made the locals top notch guides, drivers and survival experts, often living for months at a time away from Tip-Top in ATVs or cave "houses".
- When Virus hit Towering in late 1130, two traders carried the infection to Chamati. While the rudimentary local computer net was too stupid to infect, the infected traders blew themselves up by ramming into the starport H2 tanks. Missile fire from an infected destroyer blasted what was left, and did severe damage to Tip-Top itself. A message was received in 1131 that Towering itself had descended into anarchy: the colonists were on their own. The colony administrators decided to abandon Tip-Top in the face of its vulnerability, and the colonists moved into and expanded several expeditionary bases in the valleys. The administrators set themselves up as feudal lords, having life and death say on scarce resources. The colony's expertise in hunting and scrounging stretched scarce food and spare part supplies. Laser beacons contacted what few vessels came through the system, and if friendly were directed to out of the way landing pads improvised out of local materials. ATVs scoured the surface for goods that could be traded with the visitors. Many free traders settled on the world for good, using it as a secure base in their wanderings. This trade created a large enough inflow of immigrants to prevent inbreeding and accounts for the small increase over the 1130 stats.
- A ship from Kaggushus recontacted the world in 1172, and found the locals to be quite happy with their little paradise. After the Hub Worlds were reestablished in 1181, Towering made a feeble attempt to reacquire their former colony, but details of Chamati's survival stirred up romantic sentiment among a population still celebrating the recent ouster of their hated aristocratic rulers imposed by the old Imperial administration. A new starport was constructed in the Desweppes Valley, a sheer vertical plunge whose approach is guarded by a few plasma guns acquired from Towering to destroy raiders and vampires. The population is too scattered to attract much raiding, and too well trained in guerrilla tactics to permit the survival of those few brave or stupid enough to try. For despite what the law level number says, most of the locals are very heavily armed with military grade weaponry.