|Towering/Kerr (Massilia 0501)|
|Classic Era (1115)|
|New Era (1200)|
|Primary||G4 V M2 V|
Towering is a pre-agricultural, moderate population world with over a hundred million, but not yet at a billion sophonts in population size.
- Its economy and population are growing and living conditions are expected to slowly improve barring outside forces.
- It is a member of the Third Imperium in the Kerr Subsector of Massilia Sector in the Domain of Sylea.
- During the Long Night this world was named Edraaarar.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
The world is very hot, and long dry spells are common in the temperate regions, and to conserve water and deter predators, most trees and plants are equipped with either thorns or small, sharpened leaves. Most of the worlds water is locked up in the southern hemisphere ocean and adjacent ice cap, and the northern summer can be unbearable.
Binary Solar System
Towering Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Category Mass (Sol) Temp (K) Luminosity (Sol) Towering
Primary Main Sequence 0.96 4800 - 5700 0.778 Unit Diameter Min Distance Hab Zone Jump Shadow M-Drive Limit AU 0.00869 0.07316 0.7 - 1.14 0.869 8.69 Orbit # * * 3 3 7 Remarks Star Name Hierarchy Category Mass (Sol) Temp (K) Luminosity (Sol) Towering
Secondary Main Sequence 0.4258 2400 - 3300 0.027 Unit Diameter Min Distance Hab Zone Jump Shadow M-Drive Limit AU 0.0044 0.01358 0.13 - 0.21 0.44 4.4 Orbit # * * 0 1 6 Remarks
Native Lifeform: Towering Nopales
Towering receives its name from its huge (200 meter tall) trees, called Towering Nopales.
- These are not trees in the conventional sense, but resemble huge saguaro or organ pipe cactus, with tall stalks surrounded by sharp thorns up to a meter in length.
History & Background (Dossier)
- Towering is a member of the Imperium.
- The Ziru Sirka and its bureaucrats deemed the world inhospitable, and did not even consider a colonization enterprise for lack of exploitable resources that would recoup the costs. After the fall of the Vilani, Terran colonists looking for an unsettled world to
call their own came across it in the early years of the Rule of Man. And contrary to the earlier Vilani misgivings, the Solomani discovered enough usable resoures to prosper.
- The fall of the Rule of Man isolated the colonists during a crucial period of expansion, and the abandonment fundamentally altered their outlook.
Imperial High (Landed) Nobility
- It holds the estate of an Imperial knight.
- It holds the estate of an Imperial baronet.
- It holds the fiefdom of an Imperial viscount.
History-Era: Milieu 0
Blessed with strong democratic attributes by the end of the Long Night, the locals were less than thrilled by their incorporation into the expanding Third Imperium. After witnessing the results of several pacification campaigns it acceded to, but never completely agreed with, Imperial rule. Eventually it suffered the necessary evil of naming the Marquis of Towering in an effort to stave off Throne meddling in its internal affairs. It had several feuds with Imperial Megacorporations, including a period of civil strife in the tenth century that almost pushed into Anti-Imperial sentiment.
Contrary to what might be expected, they saw Dulinor as a threat rather than a godsend, and swore (unenthusiastic) loyalty to Lucan. After the "boy emperor" gutted the Moot of their representatives, the Marquis seat became inactive; and Lucan's handpicked replacement died mysteriously shortly after arriving on the world.
History-Era: New Era
The Collapse killed about sixty percent of the population. Virus strains knocked out vital infrastructure, and one Vampire ship loaded with Lucan's biological weapons bombarded the planet in 1135, leading to an epidemic that wiped out sixty five percent of the population. Most urban communities were abandoned in the wake of this, except for the capitol city, where an interim government worked feverishly (literally; most died from the disease) to preserve and restore local technology. By some superhuman effort local scientist were able to use this knowledge to create a vaccine that stopped the virus, and by 1144 it had been wiped out.
- The current government is composed of those agencies and groups that survived out of this council, creating a feudal technocracy that is a mixture of professional and geographic
- Recovery in its wake has been slow, as bickering between surviving communities has prevented coordinated action. A civil war broke out in the 1160s, and was only put down by the appearance of ships from Kaggushus in 1175. Fear of dominance by their former overlord prompted reconciliation, and the war's leftover emotions spurred a massive reconstruction program that allowed the world to regain ship construction and TL–12 with little assistance from its bigger rival. Annoyance over Kaggushus' attempt to reconstruct the former Imperial nobility for local purposes has spurred it further in its efforts as a member of the Hub Worlds, and its entrepreneurs and scientists have taken a leading role in recovery efforts.