- The resource unit is a measure by which Imperial economists measure the economic behavior of the sophonts on a planet (world).
- It is also known by the less formal term Aryu.
Library Data Referral Tree
- Interstellar Commerce
- Business Entities
The basis for economic activity for Charted Space is the resource base of the various planetary systems; every planetary ruler counts these planetary resources in resource units (RUs). These RU are used to pay for maintenance costs, the production of new starships, and other forces, and for the hiring of mercenary forces. 
- The calculation of the RU involves access to natural resources, labor, infrastructure, and a complex analysis of cultural factors. It also approximately measures the world's budget.
The RU of a world is rated on the Avery-Quesnay Economic Scale, ranging -13,680 to +13,680.
- The zero point of the scale represents a self sufficient economy, negative values represent a dependent or contracting economy, and positive values show an economy with growth or export capability.
- Please see Resource Unit/summary for more information.
The Office of the Emperor, the Imperial Bureaucracy, the Imperial Interstellar Scout Service, the Travellers' Aid Society, the Merchant Service, the Educational Institutes, and many other interstellar organizations use this data for governance, interstellar economy, world surveys, and other necessary tasks.
Such data drives Charted Space.