- It is a standard Imperial metric.
- The Kilojoule is a subdivision of the Megajoule.
- The Gigajoule is an exponential value of the Megajoule.
A joule is the work done by a current of one amp flowing at a potential of one volt.
- A Megajoule is one million (106) joules.
- It is considered equivalent to the power produced by the explosion of between 170-200 grams of TNT: this is broadly equivalent to the explosive effect of a hand grenade.
- The common Imperial abbreviation is Mj. This is generally considered incorrect or "lazy", but the form is widely encountered nonetheless.
- Properly, its nomenclature is MJn or MJ.
Term Usage Example
The Megajoule was first defined as a unit of energy on Terra prior to the foundation of the Terran Confederation. Technologists found the Megajoule useful as the concept of the Technology Level and standardized ideas about sophont society development began to take form.