All Terrain Vehicle
ATV (Vehicle) Synopsis
All Terrain Vehicle (ATV): Also known as the ATV, the All Terrain Vehicle is a wheeled or tracked vehicle designed to provide high-quality transportation on the terrestrial surfaces of any number of worlds.
It can traverse all but the most forbidding (difficult) terrain and is fully amphibious (capable of water operations).
ATV (Vehicle) Description
ATV's commonly have the following features:
- The ATV masses 10 tons, and can carry a payload of six tons, including the driver and seven passengers.
- Cruising speed depends on the terrain being traveled: roads can allow up to 100 kph, while cross-country will rarely exceed 60 kph, and broken ground will keep speeds to 20 kph and under. Tracked ATVs are somewhat slower that wheeled versions, but are more reliable in difficult terrain.
- An ATV may be powered by a battery charged from a ship's power plant, or it may contain a small fusion pack requiring water or hydrogen for fuel.
- The vehicle's pressurized interior allows up to eight passengers living quarters with reasonable comfort for long periods of time.
- The major drawbacks of ATVs are refuelling requirements (depending on the specific model), slowness in some types of terrain, and the bulk of the vehicle itself.
- While amphibious, most ATV's have very poor water performance. Unless intended for short trips, a dedicated watercraft is recommended. And in rough seas or under inclement weather conditions, on large bodies of water, an ATV can be a very dangerous vehicle to be in. Some more advanced ATV's have better water performance, but most have extremely poor water performance.
ATV (Vehicle) History & Background
ATV (Vehicle) References
- Classic Traveller Mercenary (book)
- Classic Traveller Supplement 8 Library Data (A-M)
- MegaTraveller Imperial Encyclopedia
- Traveller: The New Era Main Rulebook (pg. 361)
Non-canon ATV (Vehicle) Data
Feel free to enter further information and/or personal experiences with this vehicle.