|Basic Radiation Counter|
|Advanced Radiation Counter|
A Radiation Counter indicates the presence and intensity of radioactivity in the immediate vicinity.
A radiation counter is used to detect radioactive emissions, most commonly beta particles and gamma rays. It can be preset to give a warning signal if levels of radioactivity rise to dangerous levels. Readouts are given in specifics for (and in terms of danger to) the Sophont species that created the device: most commonly this readout is preset to safe human tolerances.
- It is a passive sensor.
Detection & Radiation Levels
A radiation counter is generally set to ignore normal background radiation.
|0.001 rads / hour||No negative long term effects.||Dental x-ray|
|0.01 rads / hour||No negative long term effects.||Chest x-ray|
|10 rads / hour||Radiation sickness, nausea, eventual recovery likely.||Airborne fallout as a result of a detonated thunderball device.|
|25 rads / hour||Lowest dose to cause clinically observable blood changes.|
|200 rads / hour||Local dose for onset of erythema (reddened skin) in humans.|
|400 rads / hour||Acute radiation syndrome in humans.|
|1000 rads / hour|| Organ failure, death within hours.
Typical radiation tolerance of ordinary microchips.
|Within the crater of a detonated thunderball device.|
|6 krads / hour||Typical radiotherapy dose, locally applied.|
|10 krads / hour||Rapid fatal whole-body dose, death within an hour.|
|400 krads / hour||Rapid organ failure, death within minutes.||Within the magnetosphere of a large gas giant.|
|1 mrads / hour||Typical tolerance of radiation-hardened microchips|
Basic models of Radiation Counter are the size of a liter bottle, while more sophisticated models are typically palm-sized. The Advanced Radiation Counter is a wrist-mounted version designed to be worn on the person or attached to the exterior of a Vacc Suit.
- Battery life is around 200 hours for TL-8 (or lower) models, and several weeks for more advanced models.
- Radiation Counters have a visual readout. More advanced models can be connected to computers for data analysis of radiation exposure.
No information yet available.
Technological Overview of Radiation Counters
- Radiation Counters are available from TL-5 onwards.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 56.
- Rob Caswell. "Travellers' Cache: Radiation Counter." MegaTraveller Journal 2 (1991): 41.
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Traveller: The New Era (Game Designers Workshop, 1993), 346.
- Greg Porter. Central Supply Catalog (Imperium Games, 1996), 29,34.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 635.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science